ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Harrison Utley commits, the breakdown

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: I predicted Harrison Utley to Kansas, and he made that come true Sunday after his official visit.

Utley was almost a must-get after taking several unofficial visits to Kansas and being the first lineman, they brought in for an official.

He was high on Fuchs list, and they invested a lot of time in him.

I believe they will target three high school offensive linemen and it started with Utley to get things going.

Utley was on campus enough to know that KU had what he was looking for in football and academics. The academics piece was big because that was important.

Breakdown: I think Utley can be a versatile lineman and fits the mold of what Scott Fuchs looks for. There are a few examples that come to mind. One is Chase Roullier who Fuchs recruited to Wyoming and was drafted by Washington.

Then there was Jacob Gall and Bence Polgar, who Fuchs coached at Buffalo. Gall transferred to Baylor and Polgar to Missouri.

They are versatile players who can switch between multiple positions.

One thing I also like is Utley camped at TCU and Fuchs was there to watch him. He also went to Norman North to watch him practice. Fuchs is very good at evaluations and watched him up close.

What this means: This is the beginning of the offensive line recruiting. I expect the staff to take three linemen in this class. There are more visits coming this month and in a perfect world they could have it wrapped up before the end of June.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News