ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts

hawkinmichigan

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2002
- that was really ****ing fun.

- our defense is maturing as the season goes on and it’s a beautiful thing to watch. They still make mistakes that drive me crazy, but the improvement is there. And they’re starting to get the stops in key spots that help you win games.

- Devin Neal is a full on, no holds barred stud. We are incredibly fortunate to get to watch the guy every week and he is going down as an all-timer at KU. I selfishly would love to watch him again next year in Lawrence but understand if it’s time for him to move on to getting paid, too.

- Arnold had some seriously great catches yesterday. Dude seems to always play well against OU and he was huge for us.

- Fairchild had a great catch over the middle and is such a key blocker for us. Another key dude we will miss.

- big shouts to Kwinton Lassiter. I said before the season started I thought he was underrated, and man, did he step up yesterday when Mello was hurt. Stood next to him on the field after the game and was considerably bigger than him, which is crazy because I’m not a big guy. He’s tough as hell.

- Marvin Grant delivered some blows yesterday, and JB Brown was excellent for us. Really glad that we got him to come to KU.

- defensive line stood up to the Oklahoma OL after that bad run in the second quarter. I was starting to think it was over for us there for a it leading into the break. But they found their legs in the second half.

- that was as cold and wet as I’ve been in a long time. Top five crappy weather game that I can remember because of the combo. I’ve been wetter and I’ve been colder, but don’t think I’ve been both in a while.

- our special teams have been great this year, and made a huge play causing that turnover (I probably was overly excited when I told Donovan Gaines he won that game for us by hitting their returner as he was about to recover that kick, but I meant it). That said—Keller not getting the field goal there was pathetic and I thought it was going to cost us a win.

- don’t think I’ve ever seen a game with five missed two point conversions before.

- the second two point conversion play where the entire offensive line went to the sideline was awesome and would have worked and Bean got too excited at how open the receiver was and blew it. I loved the call though.

- our playcalling was exceptional. The motion and shifting was all show to run base plays a lot of the time but we mixed in just enough trickery with it too that they had to respect that it might not be a base play. Lost the creativity for a bit in the middle but did a great job getting guys open late when we had to have it.

- Mello can’t be seriously hurt, no matter how good Lassiter played. He’s a key player for us.

- Three guys over 50 yards rushing in a game two straight games, if I’m not mistaken. That’s really something.

- if we can keep hitting home runs in the transfer portal like we did this past year, we are going to build a really badass team long term with the great high school recruiting base we are starting from.

- finally, Bean. I’ve been a vocal supporter of him on here, and I admit—when he slid going into the end zone I could hear people on here calling him soft, and after the second interception I thought we were going to blow another one with him at the helm and was sick to my stomach about it. And he tried to throw another INT on the last possession too—I’ll forever be indebted to their linebacker for dropping that pick. But man, that guys deserves that win. I’m so happy for him and this team. Seeing him on the field postgame crying with his family—I just don’t know that I’ve ever been happier for an athlete. He’s been unfairly targeted by our fans for whatever reason despite being one of the three best quarterbacks of the century for our program. If we have to ride with that guy the rest of the season I still think we win 8-10 games, and if that means we get two more years of JD or something, then all the better (I don’t buy him transferring). My great thanks and appreciation for you, Jason. So glad you stayed this year with us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News