shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
ahpsdbzpmmnaise5rsxn

Hey all,

As most of you already know, Mitchell Robinson, the 7-foot-0, 220-pound center from Chalmette (LA) High School was one of the most coveted big men in the 2017 class. However, the No. 8 ranked player in the 2017 class ultimately decided to sign with Western Kentucky out of high school due to his relationship with Shammond Williams, his godfather and, at the time, an assistant coach at Western Kentucky.

However, Williams resigned from his position at Western Kentucky and that’s when things with Robinson, in terms of his future, began to change.

While rumors of a commitment to LSU swirled this past weekend, Williams just told me that he hasn’t signed with or committed to LSU.

In fact, Williams just told me that he’s planning to visit Kansas this weekend.

“No, it’s not true,” said Williams when asked if he’s headed to LSU. “Yea, I take a visit (to Kansas) this weekend.”

Now, this is clearly a situation to monitor quite closely. I’m trying to gather some additional information from Robinson, including his status for this upcoming season. From the very beginning, I believed, and still do, that he would have to sit out this season, which in my opinion, means he’d never play a minute of college basketball.

Robinson is projected to be a lottery pick next year, so he’s clearly not going to redshirt this year and then stick around an additional year. So, I’m beginning to wonder if Robinson is going to apply for some type of waiver that allows him to play this season?

Truthfully, he signed on with Western Kentucky, in large part, because of godfather was a member of the coaching staff. Since that is no longer the case, my guess is Robinson is going to attempt to play this season.

Again, if I can gather more information, I’ll let you know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News