ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Fall Camp: Practice and latest thoughts on the offense

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Last week I gave my thoughts what I was hearing on the defense and today here are my thoughts on the offense.

One quick note I heard from the scrimmage the other day the defense held their own and it was pretty even. I believe in the first scrimmage the offense got the better of the defense mainly because the defense started slow. But hearing the scrimmage on Monday the defense played better.

Thoughts on the offense as fall camp wraps up.

Quarterback- We will know more today when we talk with Leipold. I will also get to talk with Jalon and ask how things have been going. I don’t believe Daniels played in the scrimmage on Monday.

As long as everyone is healthy, I think my feelings are known the quarterback position is in as good of shape as anyone. When I asked Kotelnicki how much it means to have guys like Daniels and Bean, he commented not many teams in the country have two proven QBs who can win games at the Power Five level.

But that comes down to Daniels being healthy. Because now you are one hit away from having Easters, Pauley or Ballard as the quarterback if Bean got hurt. Until I hear something different, I’m assuming things are good. I have asked around and haven’t heard anything serious.

Running Back- Might be the best news of fall camp. We all know about Devin Neal. He’s been the rock. He has been the back who has shouldered the load and played through a lot of bumps and been the one steady running back over the last two years. Lately, I felt like he has been taken for granted. Everybody keeps asking about Hishaw and talk of McDuffie, but Neal is the one constant who has been reliable.

You throw in a healthy Hishaw and McDuffie who is having a solid camp, and now all of a sudden that running back room looks a lot different. The concern going in was Hishaw, but he has been going through everything with contact and doing well.

If these guys can all stay healthy…look out.

Wide Receiver- This might be the position where the gap has closed a little between the starters and the second-string. Going into camp we all know Grimm, Arnold, and Skinner were the top players. They bring back all of the catches from last season. However, I am hearing in the last 24 hours Tanaka Scott, Trevor Wilson, and Doug Emilien have all made big plays in camp.

I still have the first three as starters but what this does is give Terry Samuel some cushion to get more players playing time because he trusts them. It also gives him confidence if someone gets banged up, he has depth behind them.

I will be interested to see how the snaps play out over the first three weeks and if some of the players on the two-deep get more than they did last year. I feel good about the quality and depth of this group.

Tight End- Really no change here. The first three will be Fairchild, Casey, and Kardell. Not much I can say about this group because they bring everyone back and from what I hear they are all in good health.

Offensive Line- If there are no injuries the starting OL will be Puni, Reed-Adams, Novitsky, Ford and Cabeldue. Fuchs likes to play eight guys and the next three in line will be Logan Brown, Spencer Lovell, and Kobe Baynes.

I have heard a lot of good things about Calvin Clements and his progression. Coming in at semester was big to start his development. I even had one person say they wouldn’t be surprised to see him play in four games during the season and preserve his redshirt.

The offensive line should be every bit as good as it was last year when they anchored a high-scoring offense and was among the nation’s best in fewest sacks allowed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News