ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Fall Camp: Five players who have improved their stock

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Going through every player at every position on the roster I came up with five players who have helped their position on the depth chart. These are players who have, in my opinion, raised their stock through fall camp.

1- J.B. Brown- Linebacker- Brown entered fall camp as the fourth linebacker. With Taiwan Berryhill missing time he picked up valuable reps and has had a solid camp. Brown isn't as versatile as Craig Young but he told me he has been working on coming off the edge in certain pass rush situations. He is also taking snaps at the WILL and MIKE linebacker, so he is cross-training at different positions. It is still up in the air if he will be a starter in week one, but that really doesn't matter. He is going to be on the field a lot.

2- Austin Booker- Defensive End- Booker has come on in fall camp maybe faster than anyone. Much like JB Brown, he has benefitted from getting reps when Hayden Hatcher was banged up. He's had some good practices and showing pass rush skills the team needs at a much needed position. Booker has length and size that has been missing from the defensive end position. He's put on over 10 pounds since arriving on campus and that helped. I would say right now it is a close battle with him and Hatcher so see who starts but Booker will get his snaps early on.

3- Damarius McGhee- Cornerback- In the spring McGhee was coming along slow after transferring from LSU. But after settling in and learning the system he is starting to show signs of a player who will get more snaps than I thought going into camp. Last week he had two interceptions I heard were legit. They weren't bad throws but good reads and ball skills on his part. The top spots are corner are still set with Bryant, Dotson, and Gervin but McGhee has earned the trust of the coaches and moved his way up.

4- Damon Greaves- Punter- There are very few if any players a coach recruits without seeing them in person or having watched them play. That's what the KU staff did with Greaves. They relied on Facebook live video to see him punt and trusted the coaches at Pro Kick Australia. Pro Kick has produced six punters who have won the Ray Guy Award and have a great reputation. They developed Greaves and he has surpassed all early expectations. You never know how an Australian Rules player will handle American football when they make the transition but Greaves could be a weapon for KU for years to come.

5- Trevor Wilson- Wide Receiver- Wilson came to KU from Buffalo where he was a deep-ball threat and legit speed guy. In his first year he showed what he can do catching 27 passes. But his production tailed off last year and he battled a suspension early in the season and never got on track. The receiver spot settled in with Arnold, Grimm, and Skinner leading the way. Wilson fell behind some players in the two-deep and ended the year with two catches. He had a solid spring and has played well in camp. I have heard he is showing the skills the coaches knew he had when they brought him from Buffalo. I don't know if Wilson will climb into the top three but he will be more involved than he was last year.

Also under consideration:

Trevor Kardell- He has had a good camp but it will be tough to move in front of Casey or Fairchild. He will be a key target in the next couple years.

Dylan McDuffie- As long as Neal and Hishaw stay healthy they are the top two. But McDuffie has impressed the staff and earned trust to where he will a player who can take some of the load off Neal and Hishaw when needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News