ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: Big questions for seven CFP contenders (Kansas mentioned)

KUalum1980

All-Conference
Gold Member
Mar 15, 2005
i

Adam Rittenberg, ESPN Senior Writer
Apr 23, 2024, 06:56 AM ET

Spring practices turned into spring scrambles around much of college football in recent weeks.

I explored six pressing questions around college football and reached out to some of the key figures as spring practice winds down.

Who has emerged in the wide-open Big 12 race?​

i
vs.
i

The Big 12 might not be the strongest league in 2024, but the scope of teams that can win a championship -- and earn a guaranteed spot in the expanded CFP -- is quite possibly unmatched. I visited two of them this month in Kansas State, the 2022 champion, and Kansas, which recorded its best season (9-4) since 2007, when it went 12-1 with an Orange Bowl title.

Kansas State's case is rooted in a defense that returns mostly intact and features standouts like linebacker Austin Moore and cornerback Jacob Parrish. The buzz is also building for sophomore quarterback Avery Johnson, who averaged 5.7 yards per carry with seven touchdowns in 2023 and has grown as a passer with starter's reps this spring.

"He's probably the best athlete in the country, I would guess, at quarterback," defensive coordinator Joe Klanderman told me. "He's darn near 23 miles an hour [running], he's got a cannon for an arm, it's not like he can't throw it. He's going to be a problem for people."

Kansas will play all of its games off campus as renovations continue at David Booth Memorial Stadium, but coach Lance Leipold returns a team filled with veterans who have engineered the program's rise. The offense could be Leipold's best as KU, as running backs Devin Neal and Daniel Hishaw Jr. both return, alongside a dynamic receiver group featuring seniors Lawrence Arnold, Luke Grimm and Quentin Skinner. The big unknown is the long-term health of quarterback Jalon Daniels, who missed most of last season with a back injury but has stood out this spring.

"Because of his ability to run and being able to do a lot of the things that he's done with his feet, a lot of people probably underestimate his arm talent," new offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes told me. "He can make all the throws and he's inherently accurate."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News