Recruiting Update Duke defensive end Ryan Smith breaks down his visit

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
ryan Smith Duke 2 400.jpg
Smith wants to have a decision over the weekend

Ryan Smith had a chance to re-acquaint himself with some of the coaches on the Kansas staff. When Smith was in high school at Harrison High in Georgia he was recruited by Buffalo, when several Kansas staff members were coaching there.

Smith, a defensive end from Duke, is in the transfer portal and recently took an official visit to Kansas.

“There was some familiarity with the staff from my high school recruiting cycle from when they recruited me to come play at Buffalo,” Smith said. “It was good catching up in that aspect.”

The Kansas staff is looking for a defensive end who can rush the passer and help fill the void left by the departures of Austin Booker, Hayden Hatcher and Patrick Joyner. A lot of pass-rush production is leaving the roster and Smith could help fill that.

“The coaching staff and support staff was really informative and welcoming,” Smith said. “They helped showed me how I’d fit into the defense and life at KU.”

Smith said he would like to have things “wrapped up” this weekend and decide on his future home. The visit to Lawrence helped him get a better look at the Jayhawks program.

“The visit went really well and left a great impression on my family,” he said. “Other things that stood out were how welcoming the people were and the guys on the team like Quinton Conley.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News