ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Dec. 17-23 week Updated (Tuesday @ 11:22 p.m.)

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
UPDATED 11:22 p.m.

Texas has come through with a late offer to Jacobi Lott. The word I am getting it is going to be tough to hang onto him. What I am hearing is he has two letters of intent and could sign tomorrow or wait until Thursday.

Let's be realistic here.... to stay in your home state and play for Texas will be difficult to pass up.

The other thing it does is validate that KU is recruiting the right type of guys. Nobody was on Lott before KU.

UPDATED Tuesday @ 5:33 p.m.

Elijah Jones a 6-3 cover corner who was committed to Central Florida is in the house. I didn't see all this coming

UPDATED Tuesday @ 4:27 p.m.

Charles Cole talks about his decision to pick KU HERE

UPDATED Tuesday @ 3:52 p.m.

Mohamed Diallo has tweeted that he decommitted from Oregon. But there is a lot in play and several other schools.

Texas A&M is pushing him hard. There are others. Long way to go and will go up until signing day. I feel KU is in there with A&M.

Also staying with Arizona Western I think KU is making a late move on Roy Yancey. He's a second team NJCAA All-American LB. Lot of things in play. I will keep everyone posted.

UPDATED Tuesday @ 3:33 p.m.

Charles Cole just announced he is headed to KU. I am talking with him story coming soon.

UPDATED Tuesday @ 12:39 p.m.

Missouri has just offered Lyndsey Scott Jr. My guess if he wants to slow play everything he can visit Missouri in January.

Then I think the KU coaches will have to look at their next guy in line. I am certain there is one and someone I have been tracking for a few weeks. I just don't want to put the name out yet. Will have to see what develops.

UPDATED Tuesday @ 12:28 p.m.

Had a chance to talk with Kamara and get a couple comments. STORY HERE

Also keeping an eye on Arizona Western as I don't think Diallo is off the list. Don't get your hopes up but they haven't been eliminated.

KU has extended a late offer to Roy Yancey who is a tackling machine at linebacker. He had 94 tackles this year and 16.5 for a loss. This is a late development to keep an eye on.

UPDATED Tuesday @ 10:29 a.m.

Big news on the recruiting front.... Kamar just made it official. He's headed to KU. This guy is a fast-impact player.

UPDATED Tuesday @ 8:25 a.m.

Today could be one to watch for announcements. I'm trying to confirm with Charles Cole if his decision is set for noon CST or EST. He is back in Michigan but he hasn't responded. I do know that he hasn't informed any staff yet of his decision.

Kamara did get back with me and said he has not committed to anybody yet. He said he could announce his decision today. Cole and Kamara would be two very nice additions. I heard Texas A&M asked Kamara if he wanted to visit and he said no. But his teammate Diallo did. Jimbo Fisher offered Kamara at Florida State.

Probably the quietest recruiting is Lindsey Scott Jr and I heard a rumor late last night he could either commit today or decide to take his recruiting into January.

UPDATED Monday @ 10:39 p.m.

A source very close to Azur Kamara told me he plans to commit to KU.

I reached out to him to confirm and haven't heard back. Just now the person told me Kamara doesn't want anything to be reported as an official commitment until he does it himself. So hang tight over the next 24 hours.

Kamara has an offer list a mile long. This would be huge.

UPDATED Monday @ 9:29 p.m.

I had moved away from Mohammed Diallo and Azur Kamara. Diallo made his trip to Texas A&M and Kamara likely won't sign until Feb.

I know Nebraska offered Kamara and tentatively set him for a visit in January. But from what I am gathering tonight neither Diallo or Kamara have crossed the Jayhawks off the list. So for now they are both in play. Also remember just because a player graduates in May doesn't mean he has to wait until Feb to sign. They can sign at any time.

UPDATED Monday @ 8:13 p.m.

Charles Cole just tweeted he will make his decision and announce it tomorrow at noon. Now he question is, is he back home in Michigan and does that mean 11 a.m. CST.

I know they want two DT in the class. This is shaping up to be a big one. Would be nice to at least one of them for spring football.

My Texas Longhorn source who told me Levon Livingston didn't visit TCU and Texas because he wanted to leave the state looks wrong. Livingston just tweeted he committed to SMU. That's what he told the Texas coaches that he didn't want to go to The school in the state. Well, maybe he just didn't want to go to Texas.

UPDATED Monday @ 12:28 p.m.

Arizona State just offered Terin Adams at corner. I know he was waiting on either them or Auburn. My guess is he will choose the Sun Devils if everything stays the same.

Like I said in my last update they staff has been involved in some legit prospects. But with that comes some serious battling.

UPDATED Monday @ 9:27 a.m.

Everything is super quiet heading into the final 48 hours until the signing day begins. Remember the period actually lasts through Friday so some recruits could take extra time.

Pooka and Corione said last week they planned to visit but I didn't hear anything from them after. I do know that LSU tried to get in on Corione and they couldn't budge him. A Mississippi State source told me they tried hard to get Harris to visit last week and he didn't.

If all three Louisiana prospects end up signing in the early period it would mean that none of them took an official visit anywhere. Obviously Whop and Pooka could easily make trips to LSU. And Whop and Corione went to Miss State on an unofficial visit.

One person told me Corione has talked a lot about playing in the secondary with Mike Lee. You have to hope that holds true on Wednesday. None of them have hardly done interviews. The only time they talk is when reporters catch them at school who live in the area.

I have talked to them a few times but during Nov and Dec it has gone cold. That doesn't mean anything. It is just the way it works with a lot of the recruits in that area.

Everything has gone cold on Lyndsey Scott Jr as well. He did an interview on ESPN in New Orleans after he led his team to the NJCAA title. Since then nothing. I really believed he canceled his Tulane visit. I don't think he went. Even the people who cover Tulane have been trying to find out if he went.

One person told me he thinks Scott will save a couple visits in case something pops up late and then he has a couple left. Remember a mid-year juco transfer could still take a Jan 12 visit somewhere and decide to enroll. They could possibly take one even on Jan. 19 because I am sure most schools who have already started class would get them in.

There still seems to be some mystery if Najee Stevens-McKenzie took a visit to Cincy. They are the hometown school and hit him hard and pressured him. His phone is broke, He did DM and said it would be cool to do an interview for signing day but hasn't responded with a time to talk yet.

Syracuse did make a run at Davon Ferguson and I think the Jayhawks have held them off. I expect him and Jeremiah McCullough to sign. A little tidbit on McCullough I heard he is rocked up and was impressive on his visit. I believe some expect him to challenge right away for a starting job.

They are in a waiting game for the visitors from the weekend Terin Adams and Elijah Jones. Adams still has a chance to get an Auburn offer. If he does, then he is gone. Also Arizona State was still calling him on his visit to KU.

Jones is the interesting story because I think KU has moved into his leader. Now the big question is what will he do? He doesn't graduate until May but he still can sign early. If there is any chance the KU staff can get him to do that it would be huge. He will have his choice where to visit in January. A lot of schools are on him.

Levon Livingston just doesn't do interviews. So here is the story I got. He doesn't want to go to school in Texas. TCU and Texas offered him while he was on his visit to KU. And he didn't give either one a sniff. Nebraska offered and he didn't visit there. But he did visit SMU this weekend. Why SMU? One person suggested to me SMU is a close drive for him (about an hour according to this person) from Navarro to SMU. He takes his visit, gets wined and dined, and then SMU flies him home for the holidays.

If that's the case and SMU is out I really think KU has to be high on his final list. But this is something I'm not getting my hopes too high because he has been a mystery to follow. If there is any KU could steal him I think he is a starter.

This has probably been the most competition for a group of KU recruits that I can remember in a long time. They have been on a lot of recruits that have options and are having to fight until the very end. That makes it for a hectic 48 hours trying to get any info where they might be leaning.

The waiting game is on for Charles Cole where I believe it comes down to Memphis and KU.

As I get any new info I will post it here in this thread.

UPDATED Sunday @ 10:52 a.m.

The Jayhawks had two corners in who I believe are really good and would compete for starting jobs.

I have a good feeling about Elijah Jones who is coming off a Central Florida decommitment and KU was able to get him to visit over several others schools.

Jones is a May grad but you take him 100% if you can get him. Even though he is a May grad he can still sign next week and that would shut down his recruiting. That is going to take some convincing because he will have visit trips in January. But the sense I get is that after decommitting from UCF he wants to find a home and get locked in.

I also believe KU made big strides with Terin Adams. The last word I got is KU is very high with him however the next 48 hours will be big in how things play out. Right now as we speak there a couple developments going on. One is Auburn is talking today to offer him and if that happens that's where he is going. Two, Arizona State has verbally offered over the weekend. But there is a catch. They don't have a DC so they are in a standstill because the position coaches can't offer yet. The DB coach wants to offer him.

The Jayhawks need to have a couple things play out but they are in the mix. Let's face it to be 1-11 and in the hunt with guys like this is something you have to be patient with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News