ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Cornell Wheeler arrives in Lawrence, is a Jayhawk

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: The connection to Buffalo paid off with Cornell Wheeler. He got to know Chris Simpson well when he was recruited in high school.

Simpson recruits the state and has been in that area for a while. Wheeler told me the thing that always stood out to him with Simpson was the fact they could talk about a lot of other things than football.

When he entered the portal, the Jayhawks were near the top of his list because of the past relationship. He also said some good things about getting to know Leipold over that time.

One other thing to mention was hearing from LB Rich Miller, who transferred from Buffalo. The two are from Detroit and know each other. Miller told Wheeler he already sees a family atmosphere at KU.

Breakdown: Wheeler is very physical and one thing he is not afraid to do it lower his head and go in fast. For a middle backer he anticipates well and makes plays in the backfield.

He’s got the build to be a typical inside backer in a 4-3 scheme. In high school he usually played in the middle of the field.

He told me he also likes to cover in pass defense although I didn’t see many clips.

Final Thoughts: The linebacker group had a lot of questions and still does. But getting players like Miller and Wheeler helps.

In the 4-3, you will see more true linebackers on the field than when you did last year. They needed depth and players to bulk up the roster and Wheeler will compete for a starting job.

I don’t want to say never, but this likely ends the portal pick-ups. I will get into this a little more but players can still enter the transfer portal after the July 1st date.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News