ADVERTISEMENT

Commit Breakdown Commitment Breakdown: What landing Leyton Cure means

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: I said this earlier, and definitely saw it play out to be true visiting various sites, but people think KU took Leyton Cure to try and get a closer with his brother are mistaken.

Grimes has put a lot of effort into Linkon Cure and through the process built a good relationship with the family and Leyton. Then it took off from there.

When Hanika was hurt, Grimes was told he could use a spot on the board in the transfer portal. Grimes had the chance to go recruit any player he wanted in the portal and the one he zeroed in on was Cure.

It isn't like Cure was an unknown. D1 schools like Arkansas State, Old Dominion and Texas State offered him a scholarship. Texas A&M would have taken him as a PWO.

If Linkon Cure would have committed to another school two weeks, Grimes would have still taken Leyton as his tight end.

Breakdown: You have to do your homework on Cure to see what KU is getting. For starters he is a three-sport athlete, 4.0 student, and from people close to him say he's a hard worker and coachable.

This morning I spoke with two high school coaches who had coaches from Fort Hays State in their school yesterday and today. Both Fort Hays State coaches told these high school coaches KU got a player who is a D1 athlete.

Cure has his best football days ahead of him because he will improve in KU's system. He has all the tools. I will be honest, and maybe not the exact same level, but when I went back and watched his high school film I saw some shades of Kerry Meier. A big, athletic, strong kid who can play football, but you just aren't sure where to project him.

His main position was quarterback and he shows flashes of his athleticism. On his first play he throws a 40-yard pass on the money and his feet weren't completely set. They ran a zone system and he kept the ball a lot on read plays. You can watch what he does with his feet and for a player at the 6-foot-4 range he dances around well. He can change direction well for a player that size. I still remember watching Kerry Meier film in high school thinking to myself this kid will be a player, but I just don't know if it will be at QB. I get the same feel watching Cure. On defense he played a hybrid position lining up as a boundary LB and even off the edge.

When you take his film and combine it with the fact he played basketball, ran hurdles and threw the javelin it doesn't take long to see what kind of athlete he is.

What this means: Obviously this shuts down any recruiting at the TE position for the 2024 class. The staff may be working on a late possibility but it is way to early to make any predictions and may not be known for a while. In the last 10 days the portal recruiting has taken a big turn with the additions of Cure, Herring and Jobe. For a while it felt like things were moving slow, but the staff has had a nice run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News