ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Sevion Morrison picks KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: The Jayhawks were shopping the market hard for a running back and found one in Sevion Morrison.

This week he had an in-home visit with Kotelnicki, Leipold, and Wallace. I think the staff had narrowed their search down to two backs with Morrison and Hassan Hall. After the visit Morrison was ready to commit so there was no need waiting.

Morrison was a four-star running back out of Edison High in Oklahoma where he broke school records held by Spencer Tillman.

Kansas offered Morrison coming out of high school where had over 20 division one offers.

Breakdown: To give you an accurate picture of what Sevion Morrison can do for KU I reached to Sean Callahan who covered him at Nebraska.

Here is what he had to say:

“Sevion is a guy that has the ability, there is no question about that. He was honestly plagued with bad luck though at Nebraska. During the 2020 shortened season, he was only one of about two to three Husker players that tested positive for COVID under the Big Ten testing program.

“That forced him to be out for three weeks over an eight-game football season. Then in 2021, he missed a little bit of time with some minor injuries during the spring and just could not find his way into the rotation.

“Some of it was also on Nebraska's offensive line, which struggled this season and had issues, especially early in the season. Sevion has the ability though to make great cuts in the open field and I think he would be a very nice fit in the Big 12.”

What it means: By the end of the season there were more running backs injured than those eligible to play. It was obvious the staff was searching for a back and looked at several options in the portal.

Morrison just isn’t an add-to-the-roster back. He is someone who has the talent to take a lot of carries and play in the Big 12.

This gives Kotelnicki a legit option added in the mix at running back who has a high ceiling of potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News