ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Malachi Curvey commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: The Jayhawks beat out some good teams who wanted Curvey. It came down to KU, Iowa State and Missouri. And I can confirm the other two schools would have taken his commitment.

The visits that started in June through the Missouri basketball game were big in building the relationship with the staff. And it helped him get to see the KSU football game and the Missouri basketball game. Those are two of the best atmospheres you can see at KU.

Chris Simpson and Scott Fuchs did a lot of the main recruiting. Fuchs recruits the area and Simpson as the position coach.

Curvey told me one of the key factors was the home feeling he got with the coaches and environment at KU.

Breakdown: Curvey debuted in the Rivals rankings at TE and that is where several schools started recruiting him. But many shifted to defense after summer camps including KU.

He has spent his career focusing on offense and defense. When he turns his attention to full-time defense he will get better. His high school team needs him on both sides of the ball.

He moves well going east and west. He makes some tackles going laterally. There are times his high school brings up on the edge as a defensive end. Once he puts on more weight this could be his future, but it is too early to tell.

Curvey told me he plans to start off as a linebacker and see where things go from there.

What it means: It is was too early to tell because the 2025 class is going to be crazy to follow. There could be as many as 27-30 spots open. Now, I can promise those will not all be high school players. This year they kept the 16-17 spots for high school recruits. That won’t be the same with all of the open spots going to high school players.

Right now, my guess is they go after 18-20 high school prospects and target close to double-digit players in the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News