ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Keaton Kubecka commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: Sometimes when a staff recruits a player and then loses a coach at that certain position, things don’t always work out.

But with Keaton Kubecka it did.

He told me he really liked Emmett Jone. I figured KU was probably out. But credit to Terrence Samuel who came right in and picked up and built a very good relationship with Kubecka.

One thing I like about Kubecka is the passion he has for football. First off, you have to love football to play varsity for three years at Austin Westlake. We are talking about one of the elite programs in the country. They are going for their fourth straight state title this season.

He knew going into the official visit that Kansas was his top school and he just needed that reassurance they checked all the boxes. He said they did that and more.

He was big on Samuel, Leipold, and Kotelnicki. I thought this was a strong quote about Leipold.

“He's one of the best to do it,” Kubecka said of Leipold. “You look at what he did at Wisconsin-Whitewater and then what he did at Buffalo, and just changed the programs around, so he is a great coach.

“That program (KU) is in good hands. Something I saw when I was there is all the players, every single player trusts the coaches and all the coaches trust the players. That's something you need at a high caliber division one school.”

Breakdown: When I first started watching his tape, I thought he would fit the mold of a possession receiver. But the more I kept watching I realized how versatile he is.

He plays on the outside and in the slot. He can run short routes and go deep.

The deceptive part of his game is his ability to run past defenders. He has 4.58 speed which isn’t considered blazing, but it certainly isn’t slow. Kubecka has football speed because I think he plays faster on the field than his 40 time.

He is not a small receiver by any means. I’m assuming by the time he arrives at KU he will be in the 200-pound and at 6-foot-3 that gives KU quarterbacks a big target.

What this means: This will close the door on the receiver group. Three weeks ago I didn’t think I would be typing that this is likely the best receiver group on paper in at least 12 years. There were some years KU signed four in a class, but it wouldn’t average out as high as this group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News