ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Kaleb Purdy

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: I think Purdy is the type of player that KU needs to get to turn the program around. He is really good football player.

There have been stories circulating that a lot of schools loved his film but he they hoped he was a couple inches taller. I still remember Mark Mangino, like it as yesterday, telling who cares what a kid’s size is. If you turn on the film and he can play and passes all of your evaluations and character checks then take him.

I was told the other day by someone connected to Iowa State, “If he was 5-foot-11 they would have been all over him.”

Purdy really liked Jake Schoonover and Jordan Peterson. They did a good job with him and Schoonover really picked up heavy on him after he got to KU.

Purdy also really hit it off with defensive coordinator Brian Borland on his visit. They watched a lot of film and talked about how Purdy would fit in the defense.

Breakdown: There are some similarities I see on film of Bryce Torneden. I think Purdy gets to the point of attack a little quicker and does a better job in coverage.

When you watch Purdy there are times he shows traits as a corner. He reads the ball well and when you watch him on pass break-ups he is smooth and uses good technique. A lot of safeties don’t always posses those traits in coverage.

I like the way he plays on special teams and how fast he comes off the edge.

Watching his film he is really good in open space making tackles and will not back down against players bigger than him.

What it means: Yesterday I wrote that the cornerback recruiting is now officially closed. Now I can say the same about the safeties. Getting the commitment from Purdy along with Jacobe Chester and Dewuan Mack closes the door on the safety position.

In all honesty I thought that might be one too many for a smaller class, but the staff must feel good about all three.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News