ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Jaden Hamm commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: Sometimes the perfect fit and timing come into play. And that’s what happened with Jaden Hamm.

The tight end from Eudora committed to KU and it was a great match. Once the tight coach from Arkansas who was his lead recruiter left for South Carolina that opened the door. Andy Kotelnicki called shortly after, and the relationship began.

I asked Hamm about being close to home where family and friends can watch him play. He said that was very important. He is involved with the youth program which is big in Eudora and said he gives a lot of his gloves to the younger players. He hopes all of those players coming up in the future can watch him.

The fact KU had a spot they could use, and Hamm was looking around, this was a perfect for both.

Breakdown: I’m going to do something a little different on Hamm. He was in a unique situation playing in the flexbone and the fact they had a lot of big leads this year. So, I spoke with Eudora head coach Drew Steffen to give you a better picture on Hamm.

Steffen:

“He started at tight end obviously for us, and really the main reason or one of the main reasons we were able to be so successful running the football, our full back had 1600 yards and our backup had 700.

“We rushed for 3,300 yards, and he was one of the main reasons we were able to do that. And he was a big time threat in our pass game. We were in a situation where we had some big leads on a lot of teams because of how good we were running the ball, and so we didn't have to throw it as much this year. And then the two games we got beat, he was really, really good for us because we had to throw, because of what the defenses was doing against us, against Miege and Louisburg.

“He was a big time player in big time games. And what I was most impressed with him was, he was a leader. He was a leader for our young kids especially. There was a time when we were down some guys, he was coaching a freshman up that was going to have to maybe step in and play tackle or tight end if Ham was going to have to get a break. And so, he stepped in, coached those kids up, and he was just a good leader.”

On his abilities and future:

“I think one thing that goes unnoticed is, he is a really, really good defensive end. I know he's a tight end and getting recruited to do that, but he can play either side of the ball at the division one level. He has a bright future for KU. KU gets in a lot of that 13 package and uses the tight end for blocks, uses them in their option game, and then obviously uses it downfield to throw the football. He'll fit right in, he's athletic, big, and long. He'll be able to play in the Big 12, there's no doubt.

What this means: I don’t know that KU was looking for a tight end in the high school ranks but when the chance to get Hamm came up, you can’t pass on it. I think closes the tight end recruiting and you couldn’t ask for a better prospect to fill that spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News