ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Harry Stewart commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: The staff had several running backs set to visit in June, but they were only taking one. With Red Martel already committed, they had room for one more.

The first back on the board in terms of priority was Harry Stewart. And they got their top choice. Stewart was the first back to take an official visit and he committed during his visit.

Stewart said he was in Jonathan Wallace’s office going over the offense and how he would be used. That’s when he decided to tell him he wanted to be a Jayhawk.

Stewart said the visit was big for his mom because she felt comfortable around everyone in the program. They ate dinner with Wallace’s family. They hung out with the staff at Leipold’s pool party. They saw the culture that has been built in the program.

There were a lot of schools going after Stewart. A lot of them offered early in the process. Michigan, Oregon State, Cal, Texas A&M, Missouri, were just a few to give him an offer. One source told me Michigan was high on Stewart. He took an unofficial to Ann Arbor in March, but a week later Michigan got a commitment from a running back.

Breakdown: It is ironic when Stewart told me Devin Neal was his host. When I watched Stewart’s film last month, I thought he reminded me of Neal’s high school film. I watched it again a couple days ago. He has a lot of different styles in his game.

If he has to break tackles, he is strong enough. When he needs to pull away from defenders, he has the speed to do it.

They also use him out of the backfield in passing situations. They put him in motion to create space before they throw it to him. Some clips he lines up in the slot. Lawrence did the same with Neal.

He is a well-rounded back who doesn’t have many holes in his game.

What it means: That’s it for the running backs. It is shut down. After Stewart’s commitment I expect them to cancel the visits for the other backs who were on the board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News