ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: DJ Johnson commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: I really have enjoyed talking with D.J. Johnson over time and getting to know him. I like his demeanor and he has a good head on his shoulders. He’s a sharp kid with a strong focus on academics.

My biggest takeaway with Johnson was the fact Leipold and Fuchs went down to watch him play. I think Dodge City was an under-recruited program because they were a three-win team with a new coach.

Johnson followed his coach from Monroe College in New York this season. Johnson was the only player from Dodge City to make first or second team all-conference. I feel not many P5 recruiters went through there.

That’s what it big that Leipold and Fuchs made the trip to evaluate him. They got a close-up look that I don’t think many others did.

Breakdown: Johnson is a big guy at 6-foot-7, 315 pounds. When you watch his film, he doesn’t remind you of a typical left tackle because it looks like he rather maul you instead of pass block.

Just watch his clips and watch how he takes pride in laying on top of defenders when he’s done. He will play to the whistle.

I think his mentality is more like a guard, but he is being recruited as a tackle.

What this means: Well, the offensive line is an open book. I don’t know how many they plan to take. The word I get is 3-4 and it can be any mix from the portal, juco transfers and high school players. We need to wait and see how the numbers play out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News