ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Devin Phillips picks KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: The staff had to sign at least a couple inside guys to replace their losses and they needed players who can contribute immediately.

That’s what they got with Devin Phillips.

He started every game he played at Colorado State. KU offered him the day after he went in the portal. Jim Panagos got on him early and it paid off.

Phillips had offers from KU, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Tulane and several other schools. Panagos did such a good job with him, Phillips shut down his recruiting after the KU visit. He had chances to take other visits and didn’t.

Last week he was at Colorado State graduating, and he is ready to enroll at KU next month.

Breakdown: From things I have heard Phillips is my odds-on favorite to start at one of the defensive tackle spots. First off, he has experience playing at the D1 level. And he is more developed than the other tackles on the roster.

On his visit I heard he caught the attention of several people with his frame. He’s around 310 pounds and he moves well. And he is very strong. They say his weight numbers are off the charts.

What this means: I want to say with Phillips and Gage Keys in the fold they won’t look at any more defensive tackles. But I don’t know what other spots will open. I don’t want to predict they will stop pursuing DTs but they have landed two quality players at a much-needed position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News