ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: David Abajian flips to Kansas

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: David Abajian was one of the top offensive line targets on the board from the beginning. After he committed to Oregon State and thought about his decision, the door to land him opened in August.

Abajian decommitted from Oregon State after initial discussions with the KU staff. He told me some things came up that “alarmed” him and I did not get into deep discussions about it. But I do believe one aspect was the fact Oregon State may be left out of a Power Five conference.

He told me he loved his visits to KU in April and June. He wants to major in business and liked the business school and the academic people he met with.

Ianello spent a lot of time getting things going with him again in August. He told me after the initial calls he started doing FaceTime calls with Leipold, Fuchs, and Ianello.

Once he realized he still had a spot and was wanted at KU I think the momentum picked up from there.

Breakdown: Abajian is a true left tackle. I know Fuchs can take linemen and move them around, but I think Abajian will come in as a tackle and that’s where he will stay.

There are some things I really like about him. First off sometimes you see left tackles play with finesse and have an emphasis more on pass blocking. In run blocking a lot of times tackles like to push a defender out of play and their work is done.

Not Abajian.

He is very physical and will punish defenders. He isn’t done with one block. He likes to get his hands on defensive ends and take them to the ground. And he when he gets them down, he will not let them back up.

Abajian has very good feet and moves well. He gets to the second level and athletic enough to stay wired to linebackers.

What this means: This wraps up high school offensive line recruiting. I said all along I thought they would take one more high school OL. Back when I said it, I didn’t know it would be Abajian. I just knew they would look at one more if the fit was right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News