ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: CB- Anthony Davis

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: The commitment from Davis is another big get for KU. This was a long-time target that Emmett Jones and Chevis Jackson were all over.

In June I had a recruiting analyst tell me, “I don’t think KU can overcome SMU because it is too close to home.”

What some people did not count on was the fact Jones coached at Skyline and along with Jackson made Davis feel like KU was home. Jones is from the area and knows the way to make the Texas players have that KU feeling like it is home.

Davis is good friends with Jalon Peoples and the two have known each other since middle school. Davis told me tonight that it did help but Davis made the decision to pick the school that fit him best.

Getting commitments from Peoples and Davis are big because it keeps the ties in Texas which I know Leipold feels is a key area to the future recruiting. Those are going to be two players who stay in the headlines in the Dallas area.

Breakdown: Two things really stand out to me when it comes to watching Davis play. The first is he is physical for a corner. He will come up and take a receiver or a running back head on. He doesn’t shy away from contact.

The other is his ability to anticipate. He does a good job getting breaks on balls and one thing really good corners do, is they make up ground to cover from getting beat.

He’s got good speed and is also getting interest from KU in track. When he was on the official visit, he met with KU head track coach Stanley Redwine.

What it means: It means the cornerback position is officially closed down. From what I gather this was the last spot for a high school cornerback.

Using the two spots on Davis and Peoples make it a strong group and two quality players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News