ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Carter Lavrusky to Kansas

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: When I talked with Lavrusky he told a good story when he first heard of KU. He said his fourth-grade teacher was a Kansas grad and had KU decorations all over the classroom. Maybe that was an early sign he would end up committing to the Jayhawks.

Lavrusky gave the Jayhawks his verbal commitment late Saturday afternoon in a meeting with Lance Leipold.

Jordan Peterson started recruiting the state last May. His focus was in Phoenix but branched out to Scottsdale after there was an early connection with Lavrusky and KU assistant director of player personnel Billy Bonneau.

Bonneau watched his film and started the process and then Peterson made the trip to Scottsdale. Once the relationship with Peterson was in motion, he brought in Fuchs to take over as the position coach.

One of the things that stood out to him was being around the team. He said he wanted to see the culture among the players, and he was able to do with that with Bryce Cabeldue who was his host. He said the culture in the program and the outside zone scheme sold him on KU.

Breakdown: The big thing I heard over the weekend is how impressive he looked in person. He was 6-foot-6 and 277 pounds. He is lean and there is room to work with Gildersleeve. He can still add weight.

He plays right tackle for his team and watching his feet and looking at his frame I think tackle is where he projects in college.

A lot of times with tall, leaner OL in high school they don’t play as physical as you would like to see. But that’s not the case with Lavrusky. He is very physical and comes off the ball. He takes pride in run blocking and will finish plays.

When you watch him, he can block players 5-10 yards away. He doesn’t have to be engaged in contact on the line to block. There are clips when he blocks people in the second and third level.

He told me he likes playing in the outside zone and that fits his style.

What this means: I think this is a fluid situation and down the road I might be able to explain things more. But I believe they will still look at one more lineman if they can get the right one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News