ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Calvin Clements picks Kansas

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: I really don’t have to go into explanation with the people reading this on the message board. Everyone knows how big this is.

Clements was a local target that many thought was a “must-get” and there was a sting factor when he committed to Baylor.

He was a local player who probably took more visits to campus than any recruit in the 2023 class. I saw him at two practices in the spring let alone several other visits.

Scott Fuchs and the coaching staff played this as well as anyone could. Fuchs knows Clements because his sons go to Free State and play football. His oldest son Hank starts on varsity and is friends with Clements. But Fuchs was never aggressive and let Clements take his time. Clements told me that was one thing that really stood out.

Over time Clements watched the KU program closer and closer. He got a good feel of the culture change. He talked about having support from the local community making his decision to switch to KU.

This is a huge commitment because he is one of the top players in the state and top-rated tackle. This is what KU needed. There has been so much talk about keeping local players at home. You have players like Clements and Neal who are hometown players that Kansas can sell to fans and recruits.

Breakdown: If you have ever stood next to Clements, he has the body of the linemen you see lining up for big-time schools. I remember seeing Clements stand next to Joe Otting and he made him look small.

Clements will have to learn some things under Fuchs, but all the tools are there. He has good feet and can add strength. He has long arms and all the traits you look for in a tackle. I had a few high school coaches tell me Clements looked okay as a junior and was a different player as a senior. They said he was leaps and bounds better.

When you combine his athleticism and his size, he has a high ceiling.

What this means: Now things get interesting on the OL. The number has been four. This gives them three commitments with Maxwell Iheanachor coming for a visit this weekend. I don’t know if they move the number to five or how flexible the board is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News