ADVERTISEMENT

Commit Breakdown Commitment Breakdown: Bai Jobe picks Kansas

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: We all know how bad the need was for a defensive end. When Bai Jobe went in the portal the KU staff quickly reached out to him.

From everything I heard Brian Borland, Taiwo Onatolu, and Rob Ianello were all heavily involved with the recruiting. Jobe visited Kansas and then went to Mississippi State for an official. Jobe told sources he enjoyed both visits and he went into a decision making mode on Sunday night when he returned from Starkville.

I know the KU staff spent time with Bai's guardians and trainer Sean Cooper. Cooper is well-respected in the profession and he told me Bai is like a son to him.

This is a huge get because the pool of quality DE was dwindling. Cooper will be in good shape when he reports to KU after going through spring football at Michigan State and is now working out with Cooper.

Out of high school Jobe was a four-star recruit and ranked the 7th best defensive end in the country. He had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Michigan, Oklahoma and several others. He is expected to report to KU at the end of the month.

Breakdown: Jobe's style of play will fit in the 4-3 scheme that KU uses. At Michigan State with staff turnover they were changing the defense and from what I have heard didn't fit his strengths.

This spring the defensive line coach had some positive things to say about him.

"The guy is athletic beyond belief,” defensive line coach Diron Reynolds said. “Just his get-off, his approach to the game. He’s working hard to study the game. It’s just so different with him – him being from a foreign land and playing football only a couple years, it’s just so different for him. He’s still learning the game but his athletic tools are really unmatched. Once we’re able to blend both of those deals together, we’re going to have something special.”

I expect Jobe to immediately challenge for the starting spot at DE. He will be a freshman so that position looks good in the future with a lot of young talent.

What this means: Well, we can finally shut the book on portal recruiting and the concern for finding a defensive end. This officially puts a wrap on the 2024 recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News