ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Aundre Gibson commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: First off, I want to start with what I think is an important piece. Last spring, they gave Jordan Peterson the Phoenix area, which is new territory for KU.

Peterson went down there after spring football in May for his first stop. He asked around and made calls about a few schools to get started in. One of the schools recommended to him was Desert Edge, where Gibson and several other prospects with KU offers attend.

This was a new area for KU where they wanted to see what they could establish, and Peterson is off to a good start.

Gibson told me Peterson was the main reason for choosing KU along with the fact he felt the staff was the most genuine of everyone recruiting him. That was the difference and why he chose KU.

Another interesting thing Gibson said really caught my attention. I asked him if he saw the plans for the new locker room and facilities. He said facilities aren’t a big deal for him. He said it comes to who the staff and people are. He said as long as there is a field and weight room, he is good to go.

One last thing to bring up… he said there are three players at his school he will try and sell KU on.

Breakdown: Gibson is a good prospect at corner but one thing that stood out to me was his success in the return game. I actually wondered why coaches from opposing schools keep kicking to him. He is good in the open field.

As a corner Desert Edge plays some bump-and-run man and I assume Gibson is a reason why their staff feels comfortable doing it.

He is not afraid to lower his helmet and get physical.

Final Thoughts: I don’t know how many corners KU takes in this class. It is still early and they will likely adjust their board to match their needs. But Gibson will be one of the better prospects on the board they can get.

I will also be tracking how Gibson can sell his teammates on KU. He sounded confident they are interested in the Jayhawks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News