ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Analysis: Jarrett Paul commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick take: I said getting Jarrett Paul was a must. There are still too many question marks of other players and what they will decide.

Finding defensive backs was one of the top priorities and Paul is a different player because there are very few who can play safety and corner.

The big takeaway I got from Paul when he got the KU offer was the head start the coaches had already built with him. He told me there were several division one coaches who reached out once he entered the portal but there was a familiarity with the KU staff.

He told me there weren’t a lot of players around because several left to go home before summer workouts. But he said Caleb Sampson and other players showed him the program from the player’s side.

Breakdown: I really believe Paul could be a starter at corner. I think if needed he could be one at safety.

There is a possibility the projected corners could be Paul and Kalon Gervin. If that were to play out, I think it would give the Jayhawks the most physical corners they have started together in a long. Those would be two, sure tacklers at corner.

Paul plays corner like a safety. He does not shy away from contact and will come at a ball carrier full speed.

He is not a small player at 6-foot-1, 195 pounds.

I think to begin he is being recruited to start at safety with the thought he could move to corner.

What it means: Paul fills a big need but the staff is far from looking at secondary players. They are still waiting on Marvin Grant from Purdue. There are other players in the secondary as well who are on the board.

And with the 25-man initial cap going away I could see the staff taking as many as two more safety types.

If KU can land Grant I could see Paul getting moved strictly to corner, but the good news he has the ability to both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News