ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Analysis: Edwin White commits and signs

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: Recruiting is such a strange game. If I would have told you a recruit from Alabama with other SEC offers and interest was going to back out of a nine-month commitment to Tennessee to sign with Kansas, you would have laughed at me.

The fact is Edwin White actually opted out of his high school season late in the year so he could focus on getting ready for Tennessee. He talked about with his lead recruiter Tee Martin. The Vols wanted him.

But over time he started listening to some of his friends about Kansas and also Brent Dearmon. There was no way he ends up at Kansas if:

1) He didn’t have some people that he knew commit to Kansas.
2) Dearmon wasn’t from Mobile, Ala.

White felt comfortable knowing and trusted that people from his area were going to Lawrence. And he felt good that Dearmon understood the area and where he came from.

Breakdown: If you watched White’s clips you might not know he is going to be a safety. He plays all over the field for the four-time defending state champs. He plays corner, safety, receiver, running back and a lot of special teams.

He shows what he can by scoring touchdowns as a back and receiver. But he will be on defense and has been told he will be a safety.

For a player who isn’t overly big he will strike you. He comes full-speed and will go head first at a ball carrier. On special teams he shows a lot of enthusiasm and loves to block. One of his best plays is where he is blocking on a kickoff return and de-cleats an opposing player.

I actually thought there were times the junior film might even be better. As a junior he had 87 tackles and nine picks. This year in seven games he had 75 tackles, so his production is really good.

Final Thoughts: Well, I would have never guessed they would be adding another safety. I know a lot of people want OL and QB. But if someone like White is just sitting there for the taking I don’t see how KU can pass him up. It also makes for some great competition in the freshman class with White, Burroughs, and Gilliom all slated to arrive as safeties. Then throw in a player like Devonte Wilson, who could develop into a lot of things.

The coaching staff will always look at defensive backs because they have five on the field every play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News