ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Comments from Matt Campbell, DC Jon Heacock on KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I just got done listening to the Iowa State press conferences and here are some things Campbell and Heacock said about the game.

Matt Campbell

On simulating KU's QB speed in practice...

It’s tough. No matter who it is, it’s elite speed at quarterback. The one thing they’ve got is two elite, elite quarterbacks and two guys who have the ability to challenge you in the running game from the quarterback position. Probably the only thing that has been beneficial is we’ve played some mobile quarterbacks this year and you’ve got to hand your hat on some of that. Then, like you said, you have to do your best and try to simulate some of that in practice.

On a big night game at Jack Trice Stadium...

There’s not much like it. That’s one of the great things about this time of the year and playing really special football games is you give back to our fanbase who has been very loyal to us. And playing meaningful games at this time of the year in Jack Trice makes it really special not only for our kids, but really special for our fanbase who has been really loyal to us and our football program for sure.

On linebacker play against Kansas...

With the way Kansas plays you need 11 guys playing really good football. Or you are going to be in big trouble. That’s the thing that they do such a great job of. You look at team on the opposite side, they have everybody back, all 11 players have played a ton of minutes not just for two years, but for some of these guys 4-5 years. This is the most veteran offense that we’ve played by far. They can challenge you in every way. You can see it. There is maturity on that video tape. They are making critical plays. They don’t just stress the linebackers, they stress every single player on the field to play their position, play their role. You’re going to have to play great team defense if you want to play great defense against this defense.

Defensive Coordinator- John Heacock

Preparing for possibly two quarterbacks and can you kind of talk about the difference between those two...

You have what you have on film and obviously playing against them a year ago and those kind of things, so I don't notice tons of difference. I'm sure they could tell you some of that, but we've tried to prepare. They make you defend all 11 guys. You know, they still run the quarterback. It's eleven man football when you play them and have got talented people at wide out and tailback. I think this offensive line has been here since forever. Seems like so very talented group, well coached, a lot of difficult stuff scheme wise, and so we've got our hands full.

What's the approach in working to limit a quarterback that can make a play on the ground with their leg?

I think it's a lot of work to be honest. But I think we've had, I think the last few weeks at Cincinnati, quarterback even last week with Shapen (Baylor). And those guys, I mean, they have the ability to get out and go the distance. I think this guy runs 10.3 100m and he got away out in the Oklahoma game, went like crazy. So very tall task.

But you try to do it the same kind of as you have to this point, and everybody understands it's kind of heightened alert when those kind of guys are back there. But he's making throws down the field too. You got to find ways to try to get to him and you got to cover guys on the deep ball because he's really good at it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News