ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Grill to Missery

JTTAILGATES

Junior
Gold Member
Kansas.com

Mizzou basketball got a third transfer portal commitment Thursday morning, as former Iowa State guard Caleb Grill announced via social media that he will be joining the Tigers. Grill averaged 9.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game last season. He was dismissed by Iowa State in March and later revealed he had been dealing with mental health issues.

“Unfortunately, I said something that I regret which has cost me the opportunity to finish out my dream at lowa State,” Grill said in a statement following his dismissal. “I hope that all the players and lowa State fans can find it in their hearts to forgive me.”

Grill played his first season at Iowa State in 2019-20. He transferred to UNLV in order to play for head coach TJ Otzelberger as a sophomore. Otzelberger then got the Iowa State job, so Grill followed him back to Ames for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 campaigns. Grill originally hails from Maize, Kansas, where he played his high school basketball at Maize High School. He was a three-star prospect in the class of 2019 according to 247Sports. He chose Iowa State over offers from UNLV and Kansas State among others.

HOW HE CAN HELP THE TIGERS

Grill will have one season of eligibility remaining in Columbia. He is listed at 6-3, 196 pounds. One of the hallmarks of Missouri head coach Dennis Gates’ team last season was having a veteran roster filled with players who could shoulder the load on any given night. From Kobe Brown to D’Moi Hodge to DeAndre Gholston and more, MU had plenty of players who could take over a game. At his best, that’s what Grill brings to the table. He played his top basketball in some of the Cyclones’ Big 12 rivalry games, hanging a season-high 24 points on Texas Tech, along with 20 against Oklahoma and 18 against Baylor. Grill is also capable of getting hot from three-point range. That’s something Missouri needs after Hodge ran out of eligibility. Grill made 36.8% of his shots from three last season. He also hit 76.9% of his free throw attempts. Grill became the third guard to commit to Missouri through the portal this offseason, joining John Tonje from Colorado State and Tamar Bates from Indiana. The Tigers have lost two players to the portal in Mohamed Diarra and Ronnie DeGray III, who joined Hodge, Gholston, Tre Gomillion and Ben Sternberg in departing from Missouri. The transfer portal will remain open until May 11.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/article274538141.html#storylink=cpy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News