ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Caldra Williford with a surprise and picks KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: This one comes out of left field. I knew that Chidera Uzo-Diribe had been doing a great job recruiting Williford. But last I heard a couple months ago Williford would probably take his time and be patient because he had more interest coming in. Jordan Peterson was also a part in the recruiting.

One offer that was believed to change things was Oregon. Williford said that has been one of his long-time favorites growing up.

Anytime you can get a player from the pipeline at Lutheran North that is a big deal. They turn out of a lot college prospects.

I’ve had a chance to talk with head coach Carl Reed and he’s always liked KU. I believe he helped out a lot in Willford’s recruiting.

Breakdown: Williford is an interesting prospect in the defensive backfield because he can do so many things. Some schools have talked to him about playing multiple positions depending on where he would fit in their scheme.

College coaches have thrown out safety and corner.

At Lutheran North he lines up at both and also plays receiver. He plays man-to-man in cover situations at corner and safety. He still has a year to grow and will add weight.

I am torn on what he will be at the next level, and that’s a good thing. That means he could project to different positions and makes him more versatile.

What it means: The only thing I can say what it really means is that KU just got a heckuva football player and prospect. He joins Dewuan Mack in the defensive backfield for the 2022 class. That gives the Jayhawks two solid players from the state of Missouri.

The scholarship situation for 2022 is a mystery right now because I don’t know how many spots will be available. It could be limited. It is expected to be short of the normal 25 unless rules change. I don’t know how many DB’s will be in the class but they are off to a great start with the first two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News