ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Breaking- Linebacker JB Brown picks Kansas

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: When it came to offering players in the portal, Chris Simpson knew what he was looking for. He was picky and he did not extend a lot of offers.

In the case of JB Brown, Chris Simpson got his man. Simpson targeted him from the day he went in the portal. I heard they used some of their connections to MAC schools including Bowling Green to do research on him. I also heard the KU staff knows the linebacker coach at Bowling Green who has been in the MAC with a couple different schools, who gave great reviews about Brown.

Brown is a soft-spoken kid who wasn’t in the recruiting fluff like you see a lot of players. He’s all about business and football. He doesn’t like to do interviews and isn’t concerned with seeing his name in headlines.

Breakdown: I heard the staff immediately loved his film. I heard they evaluated him from the beginning based off Bowling Green’s games against UCLA and Mississippi State. Against Mississippi State he played his best football of the year scoring 91.1 in the game according to Pro Football Focus.

Against UCLA he recorded eight tackles.

I know someone that is familiar with Brown and his time at Bowling Green. The person had this to say, “He’s long, explosive and runs well. He’s a violent player. Physically he looks like a Power Five linebacker. He has a nose for the ball and is at his best when he just plays and doesn’t have to be in a system where you think about every play.”

At 6-foot-2, 230 pounds he has the size to play inside but have been told he can pursue and makes plays in space.

He was an all-state linebacker his senior year coming out of Har-Ber High School.

PFF rated him a 74.8 for the season, which is a very good grade. He talked with coaches from KU, North Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, and Arkansas State.

What this means: I think this closes out the linebacker group as the spots are dwindling and they were only looking for one LB in the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News