ADVERTISEMENT

Commit Breakdown Breakdown: TE DeShawn Hanika commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: The coaching staff was looking for a tight end and that position is now closed. DeShawn Hanika picked the Jayhawks after getting several division one offers.

The process started when Rob Ianello did an in home visit with him and offered. I think after that point the Jayhawks moved into the top spot despite a Colorado offer and several others trying to get him on an official.

Another key to sealing him was an unofficial visit to KU on Saturday. That gave him the chance to meet with Jeff Grimes, who will be his position coach and OC. He told me Sunday night about his visit... "It definitely is very intriguing to come home and help bring a Big 12 title to Lawrence."

Being close to home since he is from Topeka also played a part. But being in town on Saturday gave him a chance to hear more from the staff and spend time around them.

"I did get to meet Coach Grimes and Coach Zebrowski had a great meeting and day with both of them really liked their plan to use me in the offense and felt like we all connected well."

Breakdown: I heard the coaching staff loves what he can bring. I have been told he looks great in person and has an NFL type frame at 6-foot-6, 245 pounds.

He was a key target for Iowa State in 2022 when they struggled on offense. He led the TE with 244 yards receiving and 4 TD. He has played football at the Big 12 level and this will not be a new experience for him.

For a kid his size he moves well and I heard the KU staff spoke with the Iowa State staff and got very good reviews.

What this means: The staff was looking for a tight end and this will shut that down. I believe TE, OL, DL, and LB are the four spots on the radar.

Unless another TE leaves the program this will be the only one they take in the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News