ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Breakdown: Damarius McGhee commits, what it means

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take- This was the corner Jordan Peterson was working on the last couple weeks. Although it was a short window Peterson made a strong impression on McGhee.

Before the visit McGhee told me he wanted to see how the coaches and players react and get a sense of the culture on the visit. He got one of the best hosts in terms of fits with Kenny Logan. They are both from Florida and Logan can sell the Kansas program.

McGhee got interest right after he entered the portal, but I was told a few of the schools found other corners. One source told me he could have gone to any G5 school in the country but really wanted to play at the Power Five level.

During the KU visit I heard he was contacted by coaches from Arkansas and Michigan State about taking a trip. He also had a late visit set with Marshall but canceled it.

Breakdown- As a true freshman he started throughout the season on special teams for LSU on punt and kick return coverage. With players opting out, he started at corner against Kansas State in the bowl game.

He was recruited to LSU by Corey Raymond, who left for Florida. The new staff under Brian Kelly went to the portal and signed Jarrick Bernard-Converse and Mekhi Garner. Those are two, legit corners who scored 78.5 and 76.9 for their PFF season grades against SEC competition.

After playing behind those and a deeper cornerback room he went in the portal.

The thing I was told is the KU staff loves his potential and where he can go. At 6-foot he has good length and can cover. In high school he played both ways and was a standout on special teams. I was told he can be dangerous return man.

Maybe the biggest thing about McGhee that makes him different from a lot of portal players is the fact he has three years to play. That gives the staff time to develop him and learn the system.

McGhee was a four-star prospect who had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Ole Miss, and many others.

Heard he is a great kid with no character issues and has a strong support family at home.

What this means- This is it for the corners. Peterson has been talking to McGhee since the bowl game and it was big to get him in for a visit the last weekend for portal players before they enroll.

I don’t expect McGhee to be in Lawrence right away. They will have to go through the paperwork process, and it might be a week before he is on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News