ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Anderson Kopp to KU: The commitment breakdown

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: It seems everybody has joked there have been several recruits who go to other schools because of family ties and former KU players need to start having sons that are good football players.

Welcome, Anderson Kopp.

Kopp’s father Kevin played defensive line for Glen Mason. Kopp grew up a KU fan, but he told me he is making the best decision for him not based on where his dad went.

I got the feeling all along the Jayhawks were the team to beat.

When Kopp took an unofficial visit last month, he told me when he was watching practice, he was visualizing himself playing at Kansas. He said he could see himself going through practice or going to class as a Jayhawk.

I think landing a player like Kopp can bring extra meaning because of the love he has for KU. We always talk about local players and to me Kopp is the same as a local player. He bleeds crimson and blue, and he will give extra effort playing in front of family and friends.

This is a great get at a position of need and someone who wants to be at KU.

Breakdown: Kopp is an interesting study watching his film. He has good feet and moves well on some of the screen plays and the way he gets downfield at right tackle.

He is physical and watching him he loves to seek contact.

But the spot I can see him playing is center. Watching him snap and move he does it naturally. There are so many players who have the ability to play center, but they have to be taught. Kopp doesn’t need to be taught. Now, he will need some fine-tuning, but he has the tools to play center and already has.

When I saw he can easily add 15 pounds and I don’t think he has to get much bigger than that.

What this means: This is just the beginning at offensive line. I expect three high school linemen and two-three in the portal. There could be a total of five. A lot will depend on how other OL develop in the program and who they think can contribute quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News