ADVERTISEMENT

An old farts few of the NCAA Tournament

viviajm

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
May 14, 2004
Liberty, MO
First of all I refer to the tournament as " The NCAA Annual Fund Raiser". The criteria for participation is quite low. The Sweet 16 is long gone. We now have conferences with divisions. Over 60 teams qualify. True, it's a fun time for fans, bars, and is preceded by conference tourneys. However the naming of a champion too many times falls on luck of draws, location, and times of day. While the tourney has been expanded, and is a fun time, too often the Champion has benefited from good fortune. Some changes need to be made to truly have a champion. First of all only teams that win either win their conference division and or their outright conference title. Secondly, the final four the elite 8 levels could be double elimination. With these changes we would truly have a national champion instead of an annual NCAA Fund Raiser. Of course non of this will happen. The college game of yore is gone forever. In its wake it left a fun NIT, and a true value to conference championships (other than bragging rights with rivals). The first time I went to final four we just walked up to the ticket window paid a small amount and and watched a team crowned national champ. Today I can take my family out with dinner at the Capital Grill on the Plaza cheaper that I can watch KU in Allen Field House. I ceded those tickets after the 2016 season. Not all changes are bad. Getting rid of the laces on the ball, low cut shoes, and the changes to the palming run have been good. But allowing teams that couldn't win either their conference division, conference title, or conference tourney shouldn't be able to play for the "national championship".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News