ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts on recruiting

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Here's what I posted a few days ago about the possibility Kansas adding someone at semester.

I can't say with 100% certainty that Coach Bill Self is going to bring in another player at semester, but I think that could very well take place. Bryson Tucker, the 6-foot-7, 180-pound small forward from Bishop O'Connell High School in Arlington, Va., recently took an official visit to Kansas, and there was some talk that Tucker, the No. 19 ranked player in the 2024 class, was considering graduating early and possibly making the move to Kansas at semester. However, at this time, I don't see anything happening when it comes to Tucker, a five-star prospect, at semester.

I've made a number of calls and I'm still working the phones, but it sounds like, and I've mentioned this in the past, that Self and his staff will likely look overseas if an addition at semester is in fact going to be made. There's no doubt that Self would love to add another shooter to the roster, and I don't believe that he will add a player at the semester unless he firmly believes that said player can make an impact this season.

If Self can bring in a player at semester who truly has the ability to impact this team, I expect him to do just that in the near future. Kansas really shot the ball extremely well in the first two games of the regular season, but the Jayhawks haven't had that same type of success Kentucky (6-18), Chaminade (4-19), Marquette (6-17), and Tennessee (4-12).

3-point shooting breakdown after six games

Hunter Dickinson: 8-12 (67%)

Kevin McCullar,Jr.: 8-25 (32%)

Dajuan Harris, Jr.: 6-14 (43%)

Johnny Furphy: 7-19 (37%)

Elmarko Jackson: 2-10 (20%)

Parker Braun: 1-3 (33%)

Nicolas Timberlake: 4-15 (27%)

Jamari McDowell: 4-11 (36%)

Now, when looking at the 2025 class, Kansas is currently being mentioned with quite a few guys. Cameron Boozer, Cayden Boozer, Darryn Peterson, Koa Peat, Jalen Haralson, Mikel Brown, Jr., Darius Acuff, Jr., and Jeremiah Fears are just some of the prospects from the 2025 class that have mentioned Kansas or received a scholarship offer. Now, here's the deal when it comes to a player being interested in a program, and most of you already know it, but it doesn't really mean anything until a visit is scheduled. Right now, at least from what I've gathered, there haven't been any visits set this season, but it's still very early in the process.

For instance, there was a time when the Boozer brothers had talked about taking a visit to Kansas and it sounded like it was going to happen, but nothing has been scheduled yet. Moving forward, I will be very interested to see how things with the 2025 class shake out, but I also know that the transfer portal is going to continue to be a big part of KU's recruiting efforts each year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News