ADVERTISEMENT

A CLOSER LOOK AT WHAT WAS SAID AT BIG 12 MEDIA DAY ON WEDNESDAY

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
-- First off, Bill Self absolutely loves Gradey Dick. In terms of his ability to shoot the ball, I can't remember the last time Self was this excited about a player. Now, Self made it clear that there are other areas that Dick needs to improve on, but when it comes to shooting the basketball and being a guy that can connect from deep, Self loves him. One thing that Self said that really stood out is that Gradey, if he misses 10 in a row, isn't going to prevent him from shooting again. He forgets that type of stuff and doesn't let it bother him at all.

-- After talking to Jalen Wilson, I can tell you that he spent a lot of time working on his shot this off-season. In fact, I can't remember the last time I player invested as much time as Wilson did working to improve one area of his game. He spent an unbelievable amount of time watching tape of his shot and his mechanics and really paid attention to what was wrong and why he was struggling to have some success from behind the arc. The time Wilson put in watching tape and the type he put in working on every little detail should pay off big time this upcoming season.

-- Self has made this clear on a number of occasions, and I know that many Kansas fans will be excited to read this again, but it sounds like Kansas is going to take a ton of shots from behind the arc this season. Unless one of KU's big men emerges and proves to be a reliable/legitimate scorer in the paint, KU's perimeter players are going to put up a lot of threes this season. If you recall in the National Championship game, David McCormack scored the last four points of the game. Kansas basically threw him the ball in the paint and allowed him to win the game. Those were clearly the biggest four points of his career and he didn't shy away from the opportunity. Right now, at least when listening to Self, it doesn't sound like Kansas has a guy that's ready to take on that role just yet.

-- I know Kansas fans love to look forward to the starting rotation and what that might look like well before the season starts, and this year is no exception. Right now, I think it's clear that Dajuan Harris, Jalen Wilson, Gradey Dick, and Kevin McCullar, Jr., will lock up four of the five starting spots. I don't know that for sure, but I feel pretty good about Harris, Wilson, and McCullar starting. If Dick ends up in the starting rotation, that leaves just one spot open and a couple of options. Right now, I'm guessing that Zach Clemence or Ernest Udeh, Jr., will likely take that fifth spot in the rotation. Clemence obviously has a year under his belt and offers a bit more experience, but at 6-foot-10, Udeh is a rim rummer and the type of player that can sky above the rim for lobs. The battle for playing time is going to be as intense as any in recent memory.

-- When Kevin McCullar, Jr., made the decision to transfer to Kansas, it became pretty clear that he was going to play a major role for Self and the Jayhawks. Self, without question, loves the kid and sees him as a perfect fit at Kansas. He was a top priority for the staff from the second he decided to transfer and Self and his staff couldn't be any happier that he decided to sign on with Kansas. Obviously, McCullar, Jr., has established himself as an elite defender, but the one thing that will really take his game to the next level is his ability to knockdown shots from behind the arc. That's something he and Coach Self have spent a lot of time talking about and it's something that he's spent a ton of time working on this off-season. From the second McCullar, Jr., arrived on campus, improving his shot from the outside was a priority. He's been working on it all off-season and it's an area of his game he expects to improve this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News