ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts What to watch: Scouting Houston

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Today could be big for Craig Young. After watching Houston some of their best offense comes when plays break down and Clayton Tune runs. It happens a lot and I think Young can help slow some of that down.

If you watched the Sam Burt video he made a comment the Houston OL was good individually.

Their starting OL on the PFF grades are:

The last two grades are the right tackles who have split snaps. They are big and physical but haven't played that well.

Houston's success has come on short passes and let their WR and RB make plays. They will try the deep ball and have the speed but are 2-of-8 on passes completed over 20 yards.

I still think a big key is the health of their running backs who I still want to see if they are 100% because they were banged up.

KU has to keep Dell in front of them. He's a burner who can get behind you.

On defense I have seen Houston play a lot of 4-2-5 and even six DBs. I don't think they will do that against KU. I think their focus will be trying to stop KU's ground game and I don't think they will play that defense with the extra DBs

Their DE Ceaser, Parish and D'Anthony Jones I believe are the strength of their defense. I think we could see more of Jones because he's a 270-pound end who has some athleticism. He plays the run better and has been backing up Parish but could see him get more snaps. But they won't take Parish off the field.

The Houston special teams has been solid the punter is averaging 48.5 yards a punt and the field goal kicker is 5-of-6 but has not made a FG over outside of 39 yards.

And I said this before they can't kick to Dell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News