Traore update

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. --
Yohan Traore has played his recruitment close to the vest for its entity, but as we start to head down the back stretch, things are taking shape publicly. Memphis seems to be among the leaders to land the five-star big, but Kentuckyhas recently started kicking the tires. Below, Glendale (Ariz.) Dream City Christian star discusses where things stand.

ON THE SCHOOLS STILL IN PLAY
“I just started talking to Kentucky, so I guess it’s between Memphis, Kansas, Texas Tech, Michigan and Kentucky, if they offer.”
ON KENTUCKY’S INVOLVEMENT
“We just started talking, you know? I’ve been talking to coach Jai Lucas, and we're just building a relationship.”
ON HOW CLOSE A KENTUCKY OFFER COULD BE
“I hope they’re close to offering. I’ll go visit. If they offer, they become one of the frontrunners. I’m now sure when the visit will be. I guess whenever the offer comes. It would have to be soon.”
ON VISITS
“I’m done other than the Kentucky visit. I’ve taken them all.”
ON TEXAS TECH
“With Texas Tech, I have a great relationship with the coaches. I like the environment. I feel like it’s a big family, and I like that.”
ON MEMPHIS
“Memphis has a lot of the same things as Texas Tech. I really like Penny [Hardaway]. All those coaches are great. With Penny, Rasheed Wallaceand Larry Brown. It’s a really great staff.”
ON MICHIGAN
“I know
Moussa Diabaté. He’s from France, too. We talk and he says it’s a great program and that it’s a great place to go. I have a great relationship with Juwan Howard, too. He’s going to help me and push me every day to my goal.”

ON KANSAS
Bill Self is a great coach. I like the environment there and I like the way they play. They play through their bigs and that’s nice to see. The arena has a great atmosphere, too.”

RIVALS REACTION: Traore’s excitement has been hard to read at times, but Memphis seems to be a constant. That said, it’ll be interesting to see what shakes should Kentucky make things official with an offer. It’s easy to get the feeling that the next two weeks or so will be critical on that front. The Tigers may hold a slight edge as things stand, but Traore’s recruitment is as fluid as it’s always been.

Reactions: kanzan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News