ADVERTISEMENT

Style of play/roster management

KU4LIFE

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
It appears there is going to be multiple spots to fill going into the off-season. With that being said, there are more than a couple different ways the coaching staff can mold next year‘s roster.

We could add two or three post players and continue to try to play with a 2 Man Front Court. That’s probably not the preferred course of action by many on here, but it’s an option that coach has a liked in the past.

Secondly, we could go out and recruit shooters to offset the lack of shooting we had on this past year‘s team. Not sure there is an over abundance of remaining high school talent that would drastically upgrade this department. Might have to look to grad transfers. This would allow Kansas to play more of a four guard lineup.

Lastly, is the style and mold of player I think the coaching staff will tend to lean towards and personally, I’m completely on board, and that’s athleticism.

So with all that being said, without knowing all of our options, as I believe the recruiting hot board will continue to grow larger for the 2019 class, not shrink, what would be your ideal class and lineup be for 19’-20’ season?

Issac McBride and Christian Braun are in the fold. Both upgrade shooting and athleticism on the wing. That’s a good foundation to the class as both are likely program players.

Matthew Hurt and Cassius Stanley. Let’s start here by saying both are critical for Self and his staff if they want to be in contention for a Final Four next season. These two are superb athletes for their position and in Hurts case, very position versatile depending on what you want to do lineup wise. Hurt is that one guy that could put Kansas over the top. It’s why he’s so coveted by the four big blue bloods.

Harold Beverly or Rayjon Tucker. Personally, either of these two, matched with Stanley, Agbaji, and Dotson would make KU one of the more athletic backcourts in America. That’s a far cry from what we observed this past season. I’ll be honest, I have an infatuation with Tucker and his level of toughness and athleticism. Not only is he experienced, but this kids a freak. It also looks like he’s a 40% three point shooter which is a bonus. He also was a running mate of Dotson on the AAU scene in North Carolina.

Lastly, Precious Achiuwa or Shakur Juiston. While Precious is more of a true post presence, I do think Juiston in a four guard lineup, can play the four and would probably flash a really solid face up game day one. Don’t know if Kansas can land both Precious and Juiston, but
opportunity is there day one for both.

Devon Dotson
Ochai Agbaji
Rayjon Tucker
Matthew Hurt
David McCormack

Cassius Stanley
Christian Braun
Marcus Garrett
Mitch Lightfoot
Issac McBride
Shakur Juiston

That’s who I probably play in my ideal lineup next season. That’s a very athletic four-guard lineup with potential to be deadly defensively. Nobody would out athlete or beat us in transition. I also think there’s enough shooting there, but ultimately this team will play above the rim and be an exciting brand for Kansas fans to get behind. Sorry for the long post, but a lot of thoughts on next season running through my mind already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chalmers15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News