Sounds like Baghdadi was killed or captured tonight

Discussion in 'The Slant Political Board' started by 2000Jayhawk, Oct 26, 2019.

1. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Really? Look at the rhetoric of Obama and look at what Trump says. I despised W., but I never felt he was necessarily a bad person and he respected the office. Past presidents behaved in a way that was expected of a President, even if they made mistakes and may have acted on issues in a way I disagreed with. Trump behaves like a scorned and angry 7th grader. That's world's apart from where we were.

2. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Trump is not up to the job...the result of that is he's going to flail a lot. That manifests in petty insults and namecalling. I think the Left overreacts a lot to what he says because they want a reason to be offended. It's that intent to be offended that makes it seem worse than it is.

3. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry, but that is being exceptionally sympathetic to Trump.

He said a Mexican couldn't do his job because of the color of his skin.

He repeatedly insults private citizens that have the audacity to have opinions different from him.

The right lost their collective minds when Hillary called Trump supporters deplorables. Trump calls his critics "human scum" while he's President and it's an "overreaction" by the left.

He constantly invokes looks when criticizing women, as well as intelligence when criticizing minorities.

He mocked the actions of a handicapped individual.

At best he is a race baiter, at worst he utters racist shit.

This is not A) normal, B) comments that should be tolerated, or C) leftist overreaction.

4. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And this is being exceptionally critical of Trump.

I agree its not normal and it shouldn't be tolerated...but it's the political environment we live in.

5. cornstalk

cornstalk Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not all the apples on apple tree are rotten, same as intelligence agencies, you better check in with George Will and the Bushes

6. bjabrad

bjabrad Hall of Fame
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The right does it the left also does it. What’s your point?

7. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Critical of Trump? Those are all things he said and things that are complete and utter trash - things I would yell at my nephew if he said.

I agree it's our current environment, but would you agree it's a political environment he largely created? The political environment has been degrading for decades, but there was still a facade of respect - albeit not by everyone. Trump not only blew apart that facade, he reduced the atmosphere by multiple levels.

As stated, I thought W. was an awful president, but he behaved with class. Obama behaved with class as has nearly every other President. Even the reviled and disgraced Nixon respected his position. Trump treats it like a playground fight at an elementary school, which is vastly different than how Presidents in years bast behaved.

8. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No I don't agree he created it...It was created over the last two decades before Trump was even involved. While presidents of the past may have 'acted with class' in front of the mic, they acted disgustingly behind the scenes...creating the political environment that we see today. Trump merely ran with what already existed. Trump is as much to blame, but no more than the others.

jt212713 likes this.
  9. AZ j-hawk

AZ j-hawk All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Can you provide examples of this behind the scenes behavior that would crack Trump’s Top 10?

10. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I cannot. I am not 'behind the scenes'. But as for things in the public domain, the Cigar-Monica scandal? Obama blaming cops of racial targeting without evidence? Iran-Contra? Fast and Furious? Benghazi? Reid rescinding the Filibuster? Garland blocked? I think those exceed Trump's petty crap.

11. viviajm

viviajm Ring of Honor
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Is your Iran Contra referencing a plane of pallets of money landing in the middle of night at an obscure airport or the earlier scandal?

12. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The earlier one, but that's another good example.

13. bjabrad

bjabrad Hall of Fame
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

14. viviajm

viviajm Ring of Honor
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Cute, but for those of us that watched Trump award the medal of honor yesterday understand the true bravery and heroic efforts that these brave people go through. Trump did a good job of explaining what happened and just how great of warriors we have in our military..

15. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

So you defend Trump by saying he's doing exactly what others have done, but when asked for proof you admit you have none.

As for the examples, no one is saying past Presidents were without scandal, what we're saying is the manner in which Trump behaves is WAY outside the norm for the position and a new low far beneath anything we'd seen.

16. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

I think it is a good example. It was viewed by the right as some scandal when the reality is it was a completely legitimate and necessary move. It's a conspiracy theory devoid of facts but is still cited as proof Obama was dirty, in part to defend and justify trump.

17. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Really dude? Did you bother to read the rest of it? Or was that too much effort?

I understand what you're trying to say...it just doesn't hold up for the reasons I've already cited.

18. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If you're drinking the Obama koolaid, sure. It's too much of a coincidence to not be related. Money thats been held back for a couple decades and JUST HAPPENS to get released within a week of a huge deal with Iran. Yeah that's just a big ol' innocent coincidence right there...

19. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Except you're completely ignoring the fact that scandal is not why Trump is different. So saying, "Fast and Furious" does nothing to prove W and Obama behaved like Trump.

20. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Well I guess we should figure out which conspiracy you are holding up as true. Not surprisingly the right has created a number of fictions around this so which one specifically do you think is true, as there is the money that was freed up from economic sanctions being lifted, and there's money from a court case we were about to lose.

21. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Actually that's exactly what it does. I know you want to make it out like Trump is so beyond the pale, but the fact is that he isn't...he's just a continuation of what already happening. Every thing that you point to is a mini-scandal and to point out the trend I talk about previous scandals that are becoming more common every day. It's an exact parallel.

But I understand why you're working so hard to disprove it...it doesn't match your narrative. Sorry.

22. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Whose truth?

23. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Two things:

1) the scandals around Trump are different in the way they are personal benefits to him. The scandals you cited have to do with bypassing law for actions that benefit the country (at least in the theory of the actor).
    2) It's the manner in which Trump has behaved that is he biggest difference between him and his predecessors.

This has nothing to do with matching my narrative and everything to do with being honest about the facts.

24. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

And there we go - the retort of a conspiracy theorist. Might as well say you don't accept facts. You really have fully bought into the Trump worldview:

Trump: "dont believe what you are reading and seeing"
    Kellyanne: "alternative facts are not facts"
    Rudy: "Truth isn't truth."

25. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

1. Really? Did we benefit from the Cigar-Monica Scandal? Cuz I don't really see that. But if we're going to go there, most of what Trump does benefits someone besides him. Now, all the BS things he says doesn't really benefit anyone, but then I don't consider what he says to be anything at all. I know you like to make a federal case out of every word that comes out of his mouth, but that doesn't make it a legit event.
    2. I'll grant you his demeanor is is pretty unique, but that doesn't matter. We elected him knowing his personality, it's pretty ridiculous to act like we were bamboozled.

26. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

1. That was personal, but hardly a national scandal - it was a scandal about adultery. He wasn't working with foreign nations to help his reelection.
    2. His demeanor doesn't matter? And who said anything about being bamboozled? We knew he was a racist and a bully when we elected him, that doesn't dismiss his actions and say, "oh, it's fine" especially when the discussion is about how he's different from past Presidents.

27. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Considering you constantly question what the facts are, you're hardly one to talk. You spout off about the 'the facts' when it helps your case, but when it doesn't you question them so...

28. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Mmmm-hmmm...

29. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

1. No he was merely lying to the American people and lying to Congress under oath...an actual crime BTW. But not a scandal?
    2. You act like what he does is so terrible when it's just different. There's nothing wrong iwth being different. And just because he's different doesn't mean he's not perpetuating the political trend of scorched earth warfare.

I don't think its remotely fine what he says and how he treats people. But I also don't think its any different than what other presidents have done, which is what this discussion has been about. Yes, the delivery is different and yes, he goes further than other presidents. But not so much more that it can't be considered part of the trend.

30. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

1. It's a different kind of scandal. Would you consider an extra marital affair worse, better, or the same as asking a foreign nation to help with a President's reelection and withholding Congressionally approved funds to force the assistance?
    2. So on the one hand you say he's just different, and on the other you say you aren't fine with what he's doing and saying.

You don't think it's worse? Can you show me one time Obama used his platform as President to call a woman ugly? Can you remind me when W. said there were many fine nazis out there? Or how about when Reagan attacked the parents of a dead soldier because they had the audacity to not be supporters? Trump does each of those on practically a daily basis.

I guess to pull away from politics, do you see these as similar or in the same ballpark? Your boss is talking to you and says:
    1) "I disagree with your assessment, Hawker. I think you are incorrect and your biases are getting in the way of seeing the reality of the situation. I think the answer is A and we should proceed on that course."
    2) "You are a dumb human, Hawker. You are fat, you are ugly, you are stupid, and your parents must be ashamed of you because you are a shit. Here, watch me impersonate how stupid you are you ugly cow."

(Hint: One is grounds for firing and harassment violations, the other is not.)

31. nick77

nick77 All-Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Actually we did.

By that time Bill had gone full Republican and had a deal in place with Newt to axe SS and Medicare. Then the WaPo started calling to get any quotes on the story about an intern and sexual relations.

By then Bill was radioactive and deals were off.

Monica Lewinsky saved SS and Medicare.

True story (a book was even written about it)

32. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

1. I consider the affair to be borderline irrelevant. I consider lying to Congress, however, to be worse. But then I don't agree that Trump did that necessarily...so the comparison is a little unfair.
    2. It's the difference between what I would do personally and what is tolerated because of the political environment, idealism vs pragmatism. They are not remotely the same.

And again, your second scenario is not a fair comparison. Obama implied that cops are racists in regards to blue on black shootings...before the facts were in. Obama used prettier language, but the implication is just as dark. I guess I'm curious which is more important to you regarding what the president says...the implication behind it or the actual words he uses?

33. hill6

hill6 Senior
    Expand Collapse

They're both important. Please show me where Obama "implied" that cops are racists. (At the very least I hope you have something better than the Cambridge arrest of Gates.)

But let's assume what you're saying is true, is it worse to speak on a situation in which you imply cops in a situation behaved racially, or outright saying someone can't do their job because of the color of their skin?

113 hill6, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  34. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We've been through that discussion and know where its going. I'm not rehashing it.

I don't know that either is worse or better.

35. Nipro

Nipro Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This post shows what a real pussy you're. Anyone with a brain or who isn't a partisan hack, know's this Dem talking point is complete and utter BS. Be honest, do you think President Trump is owned by anyone? If anything it's the other way around. Trump isn't a wimp like Obama was.

36. bjabrad

bjabrad Hall of Fame
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If anyone is owned it's Biden owned by China.

37. nick77

nick77 All-Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Do you ever have anything to contribute without calling people names that you disagree with?

PS

How's Nike doing, Nostradmus?

38. Hawker-2001

Hawker-2001 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow, you're one to talk nick.

bjabrad likes this.
  39. nick77

nick77 All-Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nipro is a near 1:1 ratio.

You throw about insults at a much much higher clip than I. Yesterday I called someone a dipshit and that was the first time in a long time.

Unlike you, I actually provide sources instead of ad hominem insults and fly off the handle to disagree then worry later how i'm going to be able to research and prove my default response as correct or acceptable.

Seriously, prove me wrong.

40. bjabrad

bjabrad Hall of Fame
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I thought I'd poke my head in here to remind everyone that you're a liar.