ADVERTISEMENT

Some general recruiting thoughts heading into April

esuStorm4Hawks

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 1, 2007
Although NSD is a long ways away and a lot can happen between now and then, I really like the position KU is currently in.

The trio of committed guys in Dom, J. Hocker, and Polley are all the type of guys I think will be multiple year solid starters for us. To have these guys committed so early is a big deal and really impressive. It's one helluva start to a foundation for this class.

However beyond that, I think we are sitting in a solid place. I think the staff has a great number and solid mix of offers out right now. They have some offers out to guys that will be hard to land (can't land them if you don't offer them), but also a nice amount of offers out to guys that as of right now we have a pretty solid chance with. I don't think they are over-extended with those offers either in that I am guessing a good chunk of the offers out there are guys they would take tomorrow if they wanted to commit. The Goldilocks of offers if you will - not too much and not too little.

I am not sure we will get a ton of commits over the next month, but after the Spring game wouldn't be surprised to see a couple until we hit the summer months. One thing I think will be interesting to watch is if we see a commit start a domino effect here. What if a Reggie Roberson committed soon? Would that cause a guy like Shammond Greenwood to commit since he doesn't have a lot of offers? If those two committed, would a guy like Jordan Hill then commit to not lose a spot? If Roberson committed, would a guy like Riko Jeffers soon decide he wants to play with his friends in Dom and Roberson? I have no idea if Roberson is near committing, so not posing a guess here, just kind of giving an example of a potential domino that could fall that would cause other dominos to fall.

Now something I am curious about over the next couple of months is to see what they plan on doing at a couple of positions. Do they go after a QB since all of their current offers are committed elsewhere? Who do they go after DT, as it is pretty important to get a couple of solid DTs that could possibly play rotational minutes as RS FR (noting they could go after some JUCO DTs in the 2018 class as we need some 2 year JUCOs in that class...but few JUCOs in the 2017 class)? What about the safety spot - who are the main targets there?

Such a long ways away that it is too early to say if KU will land a solid class in this very important 2017 class for the coaching staff. But the start they are off too and the relative position they are in with some recruits...I like where we currently stand probably more than I can remember in any recent years at this point in time. Now let's just finish strong!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.