ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Thoughts and CHAT: June 8th, weekend and upcoming visits

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
We are now officially in that time where so many things can happen. Some can be dictated by KU and some by other schools.

Let me give an example. Juju Marks is down to three schools. The one that could spell the most trouble is USC. They had an OT visit last week, one this weekend and two more set. If they back off, which is very possible, since they have already pushed his visit back, I think helps KU a lot.

That would put KU and UCF as the finalists and I will take that matchup. Is there a chance he goes to UCF and loves the area? Absolutely. But if someone would have told you in March the finalists for Marks would be KU and UCF you would have taken it.

I will give another example. Terry Shelton, a WR from Texas, visited KU early for the spring game. He did that because he anticipated a busy schedule and had June visits booked. But I got word yesterday Texas Tech canceled his visit and they were thought to be the leader. He still has visits planned to Arizona and TCU, but we need to see how those play out. I will be honest, from things I heard going into June I didn't think KU had much of a shot. But with other filling up, or altering visits it plays a big part in how the recruiting shapes up.

Then there is the philosophy of "pressing" a recruit. And I will give an example. I don't know that they would do this, but this is how it could work. I know Joeseph Skipworth and Jeff Grimes have a good relationship. Skipworth added a midweek visit to SMU, so he went there and flew to KC yesterday. Let's say his visit gets over tomorrow and he tells the staff they are his top school, but he really wants to visit BC on the 21st. They could squeeze him and tell him his spot could be there with two other TE set to visit.

As we follow this weekend, a lot will also come down to how other schools manipulate their board. Last year Austin Alexander shocked everyone and committed to KU early. That was in large part he was told his spot may not be there in a week. I will try to track several other schools and what they are doing because that will be a factor.

I just don't see decisions coming from Fitzgibbon, Mozee, Heath, Cooper on the visit. I expect them to take other visits.

KU has eight WR set for officials this month. At some point I think they will start pressing their top targets to try to get a commit or two. Jalen Cooper and Muizz Tounkara are too hard to read. I wouldn't bet against landing them, but there are too many other variables in play and how they will handle their upcoming trips.

Don't forget about the midweek visits as Smith Orogbo and Evan Haynes are expected to visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News