ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Recruit rankings and the NFL Draft

esuStorm4Hawks

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 1, 2007
I tend to fall in the camp where I don't think every single ranking of a recruit is correct (that's just impossible) so will argue on some of the rankings and I don't think that a team always need top ranked classes to have a winning program (although it helps), but in general think these recruiting sites do a good job with their rankings and that there is some value in the rankings they have done.

So with that in mind, found this article on NFL.com interesting (about midway through the article is the piece about recruiting rankings) where the writer suggests NFL teams should (and likely do) pay attention to these recruiting lists, with one particular paragraph in this article sticking out to me:

That's why I've encouraged plenty of general managers and personnel executives to pay attention to the top performers in the high school ranks to get a jump on the young players that will eventually develop into NFL stars. While many will snicker at the notion of NFL executives studying recruiting lists and star-based ratings, there's plenty of evidence that suggests high school analysts get it right when evaluating the talent on the lower levels. Look no further than the fact that 10 five-star recruits were selected in the first round of the 2017 draft. Not to mention, it was the third time in four years that a former five-star recruit was taken with the No. 1 overall pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News