ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Only one week of spring football left- the good and concerns

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Here are some thoughts after watching practice and getting a feel for things as spring practice winds down.

THE GOOD

Linebackers- I think this position is greatly improved and there will be quality players at different positions. I think the competition is going to make it even better because there are players who have been starters, that may not start. I saw in some drills when they ran out what looked to be units by first and second team that Gilyard and Young were running with the two's. Now that doesn't always that's the case but it shows how much better it is than last year.

Running backs- This group is going to be really good, but the key is staying healthy. Last year we thought there was a good stable of backs but injuries took a toll along with the portal. By the end of the year there were barely any scholarship backs available. This spring has brought back some of those concerns as some of the running backs have been in and out nicked up. Once this group can stay healthy it is a legit group of Big 12 talent.

Defensive line- I'm calling it right now, the surprise of the spring. I have heard the defensive tackles have looked really good and in a couple scrimmages have gotten the best of the OL. They are playing a different style of attacking and they look much better under Panagos. And this group of defensive tackles is really deep. It is a position that has struggled in recent years and I expect it to be much better in 2022. The defensive ends have shown glimpses this spring and Lonnie Phelps has been one of the key additions. The DE group doesn't go as deep and they will miss Kyron Johnson.

LUKE WARM

Quarterbacks- This really comes down to one person and that is Jalon Daniels. He has missed much of the contact parts of the spring and the physical part of the scrimmages. But I have heard he is getting healthier and more involved. I think there is a drop-off after Daniels so it is ever-so important that he is healthy. They did all the right things in keeping Daniels out but he did miss important time in getting reps but he still around every minute of practice. Leipold said he has continued to be a leader. To keep the program going in the right it has to be Daniels under center. I don't know what the format will be for the spring game. They might do a more controlled scrimmage type format and use it as a practice mixed in with live action. Either way I don't know how much Daniels would play in the contact parts.

Tight ends- This may be the position that is the most intriguing to watch all the way to the first game. This staff wants to run the ball and be physical. That is going to be the trait of a Leipold/Kotelnicki team. They are going to slow games down and limit possessions. They will still throw but it isn't going to be anything close to the air raid and open offenses we saw in recent years. The tight end group is going to have to be a position that can be multiple. They are going to have to block, catch, line up in flex, line up in slot, and even showed some H-back last year. The question is going to be what player can show he can be a pass-catching threat and block at the same time. Last year it was a struggle. The blocking was bad. That's why they signed Tevita Noa. There are six tight ends on scholarship. That's a lot. And then Jared Casey is as close to a scholarship as one can be. They could go with a philosophy that some guys are looked at as pass-catchers and others for blocking.

Offensive line- The first five have a chance to be a quality unit. Not great, but solid. There are players who have a lot of experience and played with each other. But I am worried about injuries and depth. Right now there is no second string. I think the staff has a big challenge to find three to four players who can fill in the back-up roles. There is a massive drop off after you get past the starting five. if the first unit can stay intact I like the makeup of the group.

Wide receivers- I'm not sure where to go with this group. I hear mixed things. I don't know that anyone has established as the "number one" this spring and the position isn't by any means dynamic. You have 11 wide receivers on scholarship and by eligibility standards they all return in 2023. Some players are going to need to raise their games between spring and fall camp. I also feel this is a position where you could see players enter the portal because there are too many on scholarship and some will know where they stand after spring ball.

CONCERNED

Secondary- I do have some concerns here. Some players are going to have to develop and keep getting better but I think there are concerns through the spring. No confirmation but Gilliom's injury may not be good. There are holes at cornerback with spring performance. I can see the staff try to go after another corner and safety in the portal to try and bolster the roster and competition between now and the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News