ADVERTISEMENT

Now for the optimistic viewpoint

hawkinmichigan

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2002
- Almost everything that could go wrong did, and we still almost beat a Big Ten team on the road. That never would have happened three, five, seven or ten years ago. We’ve made amazing progress and can’t lose sight of it.

- Our DL is legit. That back is a good hard runner and we locked him up. We got good pressure consistently on the QB. We rotate a bunch of young dudes in, too. This is a strength to build on for the future.

- Devin Neal is a stud. Hishaw ran with purpose. Sev took advantage of his opportunity. Our running backs are another depth area and strength we can build on, now and going forward (Thompson and Stewart are the future).

- Our scheme did actually do a generally decent job getting guys open. It’s just a matter of hitting them when they do.

- The OL opened gaping holes and JD generally didn’t have real pressure in his face all game. He scrambled some based on coverage or the lanes that opened for him, but other than a few plays it didn’t feel like they got to him with any ease. That’s huge, too.

- Wheeler is a stud and Brown makes plays at linebacker. I feel good about that group. I did question Raich being in for the most important few defensive plays of the game, but it isn’t always going to be perfect.

- McGhee played a great corner and their receiver just kept making absurd plays against him. Nobody throws at Cobee. Grant hit some dudes. Dye made some plays. DB group wasn’t bad at all and did well in run support.

- Special teams was exactly what you want them to be—consistent and not a concern.

- we’ve never seen JD play a game that poor on the decision making and I’m inclined now to think that it was an aberration, and not all of the other games. I bet he bounces back incredibly strong this week against UNLV.

- As down as I was last night, some perspective today helps. There’s no reason to attack JD—he’s helped build where we are now. Grimes will learn and improve from this (with Lance helping him get better). We will remember to throw to the middle and use our backs better and in the pass game. I’m relatively confident/hopeful that will be our worst performance of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.