ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Nick Herzog picked up two offers within minutes

I'm not sure who Derik Young is, but he's the analyst who already had Herzog projected to KSU. Is there some connection there?

I'm not sure who Derik Young is, but he's the analyst who already had Herzog projected to KSU. Is there some connection there?

Rivals K-State recruiting analyst. Believe he projects tons of folks to K-State and then when they go somewhere else, especially KU, removes they ever had an offer from KSU...can't keep my K-State homers straight.

I actually like Derek Young. Not sure about how he runs the rivals stuff but is a super nice guy

Others on here have said the same thing. Makes me feel bad bashing the guy. Every update just feels like its written by a super homer fanboy. Not sure if he openly lies or is just really optimistic about KSU football. I would hate it if JK made us think we were in the drivers seat for every recruit, only to miss on more than half of them.

Seems like this might be the biggest local 2022 battle along with Tyson Struber. K-State has been more aggressive in offering local KS kids in 2022 than KU has been, but I'm generally okay with the kids we have and have not offered in the 2022 class. Currently 9 KS 2022 players hold offers per Rivals database. KU has offered 5 of the 9, but 3 of the 9 are going to be national recruits. K-State has offered 8 of the 9 kids (going to assume they offered Dasan McCullough).

Others on here have said the same thing. Makes me feel bad bashing the guy. Every update just feels like its written by a super homer fanboy. Not sure if he openly lies or is just really optimistic about KSU football. I would hate it if JK made us think we were in the drivers seat for every recruit, only to miss on more than half of them.
Don’t feel bad. He’ll take a shot at KU every chance he has.

Herzog looks like he could be part of the Whitey Herzog family. Is he?

he does kinda resemble whitey..
giphy.gif

I like Herzog - usually don’t watch SO film unless it’s a DE, RB or WR... such a big jump happens between SO to JR year - enjoy watching JR film much more

Anyway that said - I’d take Herzog based on SO film and play him at OGC unless he hits the ladders and cones think his feet hard really hard is more OG or OC for that matter

This kid will get more offers - would expect ISU and UM to jump in there along with others

Rivals K-State recruiting analyst. Believe he projects tons of folks to K-State and then when they go somewhere else, especially KU, removes they ever had an offer from KSU...can't keep my K-State homers straight.
Fitz was the one that used to remove the KSU offers. I haven’t seen much of that since he moved to 247.

What I will say about Derek is that he tends to write and moderate through more of a purple tinted lens than I would expect a site runner to do. Not to inflate the ego of @JK but he runs the Slant in a very even keeled manner. He presents data that’s favorable when it’s favorable and less so when that’s what it says. Those that pay attention aren’t really overly high or low when something happens. If things aren’t looking good, we know.

Derek tends to project the most favorable result at all times, regardless of the data that’s out there. That makes the readers of that site feel like they’re a finalist for every recruit they’ve ever offered...even when they aren’t. They’ve also “pulled offers” from several kids that commit elsewhere. I didn’t do it intentionally, but I pushed his buttons the last time I saw him. KSU had just lost a recruit and he said that they had pulled his offer prior to and that the kid really wanted to go to KSU. I simply asked him when they had pulled the offer...and why he was still talking about the kid if they had pulled the offer. He got really defensive. It’s his livelihood and he’s got a fickle fan base, so I get it but I take every article, tweet, and note written by him with a humongous grain of salt.

Fitz was the one that used to remove the KSU offers. I haven’t seen much of that since he moved to 247.

What I will say about Derek is that he tends to write and moderate through more of a purple tinted lens than I would expect a site runner to do. Not to inflate the ego of @JK but he runs the Slant in a very even keeled manner. He presents data that’s favorable when it’s favorable and less so when that’s what it says. Those that pay attention aren’t really overly high or low when something happens. If things aren’t looking good, we know.

Derek tends to project the most favorable result at all times, regardless of the data that’s out there. That makes the readers of that site feel like they’re a finalist for every recruit they’ve ever offered...even when they aren’t. They’ve also “pulled offers” from several kids that commit elsewhere. I didn’t do it intentionally, but I pushed his buttons the last time I saw him. KSU had just lost a recruit and he said that they had pulled his offer prior to and that the kid really wanted to go to KSU. I simply asked him when they had pulled the offer...and why he was still talking about the kid if they had pulled the offer. He got really defensive. It’s his livelihood and he’s got a fickle fan base, so I get it but I take every article, tweet, and note written by him with a humongous grain of salt.
Maybe other fan bases insider guys (247/Rivals/Independent site) do this, but he will tweet out when KU has a de commitment. I’ve never seen Chasen or Kirby or anyone in my KU filled timeline so that for a KState de commit. In fact I don’t really see anything negative in the recruiting space regarding K-State ever (except for the Potter incident).

I get why. They’re reader bases want that stuff, but I don’t think it’s very professional. It was either Young or Fitz who quote tweeted Brennon Scott’s recommitment with “Another one jumps ship”. I’ve also seen Young and some Bryson guy get after it on twitter. No need for stuff like that.

Yep. That’s Mr. Young. Always pandering to his cats. You don’t have to make stuff up or modify the truth but some can’t resist.

Reactions: Jhawk24
Maybe other fan bases insider guys (247/Rivals/Independent site) do this, but he will tweet out when KU has a de commitment. I’ve never seen Chasen or Kirby or anyone in my KU filled timeline so that for a KState de commit. In fact I don’t really see anything negative in the recruiting space regarding K-State ever (except for the Potter incident).

I get why. They’re reader bases want that stuff, but I don’t think it’s very professional. It was either Young or Fitz who quote tweeted Brennon Scott’s recommitment with “Another one jumps ship”. I’ve also seen Young and some Bryson guy get after it on twitter. No need for stuff like that.
I can’t tell if he’s legitimately like that or if he’s just pandering to his audience. It’s not that they appreciate it, it’s that they demand it. As a fan base, they think their program is one of the top 10 programs in the country and they can’t be told anything other than that if you want to make money off of them.

Thanks for the clarification/correction. Thought it might be the case since I don’t follow them much, but couldn’t remember who it was...Fitz.

Watch out for Big 10 schools. MU would be in play too. Know family well. Can vouch that the fam is not a lean to KSU or KU.

Reactions: joaqhawk

Did we ever get any confirmation on what happened with Scott? Was it a graded issue? Really weird that a 4 star guy goes to unlv

[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

I can’t tell if he’s legitimately like that or if he’s just pandering to his audience. It’s not that they appreciate it, it’s that they demand it. As a fan base, they think their program is one of the top 10 programs in the country and they can’t be told anything other than that if you want to make money off of them.
His nickname in the recruiting world is hovercraft because he just kinda hovers around everyone @ recruiting events because he’s not like really well liked by anyone and isn’t great at analyzing recruits/football so he gets tips from others.

that being said DY has a tough job catering to those fellas and they love it when he’s anti KU and pro KSU so he is gonna keep being that way as it is what keeps the sub count up. I still don’t think he’s as bad as Riley gates. That dude is a clown. I’ve never felt as cool as I did on the day Gavin Potter visited KU to take his announcement pics and he told me I was wrong.

His nickname in the recruiting world is hovercraft because he just kinda hovers around everyone @ recruiting events because he’s not like really well liked by anyone and isn’t great at analyzing recruits/football so he gets tips from others.

that being said DY has a tough job catering to those fellas and they love it when he’s anti KU and pro KSU so he is gonna keep being that way as it is what keeps the sub count up. I still don’t think he’s as bad as Riley gates. That dude is a clown. I’ve never felt as cool as I did on the day Gavin Potter visited KU to take his announcement pics and he told me I was wrong.
My experience at most recruiting camps and combines is that most people don’t really know what they are looking for. It’s not shocking that he falls into that category. Some can figure it out in time; some can’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT