ADVERTISEMENT

My Things to Watch for Spring Game

TarmacGuy

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2015
DEFENSE
- Where do Mike Lee and Bryce Torneden lineup? A year removed from both players performing at an all-Big 12 level but struggling in coverage, it appears one of them may be in a capacity that is closer to an OLB/NB instead of safety. I'm excited to see how this works out for them. I've seen situations where both of them were in that Nickel type role.

- Probably the biggest thing for me is how they size up. Drew Harvey is somebody I expected to fill in immediately and it appears he has done so. Can Dru Prox or Kyron Johnson step up? I've thought the entire time that Gavin Potter will come in and compete for a starting spot but I'd like to see LB#2 at least appear to be someone that can give Gavin a run for his money. Gavin had a chance to go TTU & KSU, two schools very low on numbers at LB and Miles convinced him to come to KU. I don't think that was to be an impact player down the road.

- Defensive Line will be another area to watch. Jelani Brown, Morragne & Cole have been standouts at camp but 3 people on a defensive front aren't enough. Hoping to see some step up from others. Lee and Sampson will come in and participate right away but we need to have some stability behind them as well.

OFFENSE
- How big is the drop off between the 1's and 2's at WR. This group is very, very thin and will need 7 solid guys and currently I'm only confident in about 5ish. #DC2

- OL make up. A lot of rumors coming out of camp on who is the 1s and stuff but this group is receiving attention from Miles and is going to be the difference between 3-4 or 6-7 wins.

- RB group w/o Pooka. Pooka will return, we all know that but how does this group fair without him? I'm excited to see Dom & Khalil in action this saturday. Hoping to see an improvement in the RB receiving game.

- Obviously QB. What I've seen of MacVittie isn't that he's a dead accurate guy but he puts the ball in a position for his receiver to catch it most of the time. We have a v good core of receivers in Charlot, Parch, Naylor, Kwamie & Robinson.. can they secure the bag this year? We lost to KSU and Nicholls St off receivers dropping TD's. Iowa St could have been close too.

PLAYERS
There's a couple guys I'm excited to see that are new and players im excited to see thrive under Miles.

#2 Daylon Charlot (obviously)
#2 Corione Harris
#4 Andrew Parchment
#5 Azur Kamara
#7 Davon Ferguson
#7 Thomas MacVittie
#11 Ezra Naylor Jr
#14 Jamahl Horne
#25 Dom Williams
#58 Api Mane
#71 Jacobi Lott
#97 Darrius Moragne