ADVERTISEMENT

Lance too conservative

Hawkfan

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2001
Kansas City, MO
Like everyone else, I was really disappointed in how the final 5 minutes of the game was managed. For as much as I want to jump up and down and say Grimes is an idiot, I just wonder how much of that 3 and out series at the end of the game was Lance's marching orders? I only ask because Kotelnicky multiple times was similarly conservative in his tenure here where moving the chains just once would have allowed us to kneel out the game. And the puzzling thing about some of those past occasions was our defense was a clear weak spot so to take the game out of your strength (offense) and put the game in the hands of our defense (our weakness) was really puzzling.

So when you combine the conservative offense at the game's end with the conservative defensive play calling, is it really just our coordinators? Or is that their marching orders from Lance? This is the way I view it. When it's late in the game and we were clearly reeling, why do you not dial up some pressure? See if you can force a turnover or to knock WV off schedule to put our D in a better position to be successful? And if the worst thing happens where we get burnt and they get a quick score, well guess what, your offense gets the ball back with time to do something. Our final five minute strategy yesterday literally just prevented a win. Yesterday was absolutely a game we needed to win and to manage the game so poorly down the stretch like that was infuriating. You don't even go down swinging. I really put yesterday's loss on Lance. With 30 seniors or whatever we have and to have 4th quarter leads in every game and to lose 3 in a row, that just can't happen.

Reactions: vpalmer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.