ADVERTISEMENT

"get the ball out of the basket, get it in play immediately"

echo6808

Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Last night reminded me of the old Roy Williams offense. When KU would make a basket, Iowa State would grap the ball immediately, get it back in play immediately, and fire-it down the court with long passes for a quick transition basket. Iowa State did this over & over, entire game. KU could never figure it out or stop it. Last year, KU did this somewhat with Embid getting rebounds, passing to a sprinting wing (Wiggins).

The reason I bring this up: I have to believe that Iowa State has played this style of offense THIS YEAR, IN OTHER GAMES... Right ? So there is some film to watch, seeing Iowa State do this against other teams. Right ? It seems illogical that Hoiberg would implement this strategy for the 1st time last night, with so much risk at stake. How come it worked so well ? That is the mystery. A. Maybe the Hawks practiced against this style of offense. If they did they obviously did not do it enough. B. Our guys ( in the game) were just not talented / experienced enough to handle that style. C. Wrong combination of KU players in the game for too long of stretches D. Maybe the Hawks just "talked about playing aginst this style of offense, or just watched Iowa State film",. Big mistake if that was the approach taken. Whatever the reason(s), the ' FAST BREAK LAYUPS' that Iowa State got was one of the major reasons for the loss.

Against Missouri, I remember Self did a smart thing in practice. He would play 5 on offense against 6 or even 7 on defense, to get used to Missouri's press. Self will probably do something similar to this, next time KU plays Iowa State. Need to practice against there strategy of "getting the ball in play and down the court immediately".

One last point, pertaining to the other thread titled "Self's Stubborness ; If Alexander's Motor is not functioning properly, maybe 3 minute "time-out teaching sessions' on the bench would work better than just shutting down the engine entirely and parking the car in the garage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.