ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Challenges from College to Pro

esuStorm4Hawks

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 1, 2007
Really good article discussing how hard it can be to project a college player and how well they do in the pros. Primarily focuses on QBs and OL and the struggles a lot have. Goes into specifics for them, of which some have been discussed quite a bit on here.

The last paragraph in particular is the one that I found pretty interesting:

College coaches and programs aren't responsible for preparing their players for the NFL. They're responsible for winning games, and with limited development time, the spread offense has been extremely effective. Whether it means changing the playbook, giving players more time to develop or some combination of the two, the NFL has to find a way to adapt.

Something a lot of teams use in recruiting (including us) is getting guys to the pros. They should use it, it is a great recruiting tool. But it goes to show that that recruiting pitch is with some BS, granted a lot of recruiting is. I am sure every coach would love it and hope that every one of their players goes pro and is wildly successful so it isn't like there isn't anything wrong saying "I want to get you to the pros"...but at the end of the day the coach's main goal is to win games versus developing those guys for the pros

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.